Heat exercise option to keep Norris Cole for 2014-15 season

Oct 8, 2013, 9:09 PM EDT

source: Reuters

Norris Cole is entering his third NBA season, but has already proven to be a key contributor on two straight championship teams for the Heat. Not surprisingly, since he’s still playing out his rookie contract and is considered to be still-developing talent at an extremely low price, Miami exercised its option to keep Cole under contract for the 2014-15 season.

From the official release:

Cole has appeared in 145 career games (six starts) and averaged 6.1 points, 2.0 assists, 1.5 rebounds and 19.7 minutes while shooting 40.7 percent from the field. Last season, he led the Miami reserves in assists 37 times, steals on 29 occasions, points 12 times and in rebounds and minutes six times each. In his two seasons with the HEAT, Cole has helped Miami capture back-to-back NBA championships, appearing in 40 postseason games while averaging 4.1 points, 1.4 assists and 1.2 rebounds in 14.7 minutes of action.

Cole was originally drafted by Minnesota in the first round (28th overall) of the 2011 NBA Draft before his draft rights were acquired by the HEAT in a draft night trade.

Under the rookie scale, Cole is set to make just over $2 million in 2014-15, and will need to have a qualifying offer extended of just over $3 million the following season for Miami to retain his rights as a restricted free agent (salary data via HoopsWorld).

This move was a mere formality, but it doesn’t come without a level of interest.

By now you’re probably aware that LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh can all opt out of their contracts next summer to become unrestricted free agents, or (more likely) sign longer-term deals to stay in Miami. The Heat brain trust set up the rest of the contracts on the roster with this not-so-small fact in mind, and up until today, no one was guaranteed a single dollar of salary beyond the upcoming season.

That’s right — the Heat potentially were at a completely clean slate from a salary perspective beginning next summer. That’s no longer the case, however, after Cole became the first to officially get locked in for the 2014-15 season.

1. abxyer - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

First 2 years in the league and has 2 rings….has played with future HOFers LBJ, DWade, CB, Ray Allen, and he is one of the crowd favorites. He is a pretty good up and coming PG.
    Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

2. antistratfordian - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

No brainer. I guess that makes it a No-No brainer.

3. miamatt - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Cole made a huge leap with his jump shot this past year, and the work he seems to be putting in suggests he will continue to improve.

Most importantly, though, and why the Heat acquired him in a draft night trade, is he is a great system and culture fit. A fearless bulldog on defense, a tireless worker, unselfish and aggressive. It makes sense that the Heat would want to keep one of it’s few young pieces around for a reasonable price.

4. rickyspanish - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Mini Udonis Haslem. I hope the contract forces him to keep that awesome hairdo.

5. reupjosh - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM

@miamatt
    Really?!?

“A fearless bulldog on defense, a tireless worker, unselfish and aggressive.”

… You forgot “team player, makes the most of his athletic ability, has major upside and… (Insert any other ridiculous cliche here)

• miamatt - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM

The only ridiculous cliche here is when you put out “major upside”…. not even I would go that far.

Bulldog is Spo’s word for it. If you’ve watched, though, fearless would be the word I’d choose if I could only have one. That doesn’t apply to all players.”tireless worker”… by all accounts Cole has been putting in the extra time since day one. That doesn’t apply to all players (read: Michael Beasley). “unselfish”…. you don’t play for the Heat without this quality. Again, doesn’t apply to all players. “aggressive”…. fine, this one is a bit vague, maybe even equivalent to fearless in this instance… But again, doesn’t apply to all players, though you could say Cole is aggressive to a fault on both sides of the ball at times.

You’re right, though, I could have been a bit more creative and original in my sports blog comment….

• doc305 - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Boom!! Miamatt don’t be so mean, these kids don’t know any better!

Cole is a bulldog! And aggressive! Nobody remembers him driving hard on the greatest PF of all time Duncan and finishing at the rim??.. In the finals?! He is getting better every year, plus he practices every day with some of the best players to ever play the game!

6. canehouse - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM

As Spo puts it… “Norris has HEAT DNA”… does everything that asked of him and plays with a Warrior mentality… fearless! Oh yeah and you can’t forget the family’s green van!!!

7. adamsjohn714 - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I hope he gets better, cause he hasn’t been that good so far.

8. pantsfreezone - Oct 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM

In 20 years Norris Cole is going to be handing out the NBA Finals MVP award ala Bill Russell.

-Credit to Dan Le Batard

9. dls612 - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:16 AM

This dude has a lot of heart ! To play under pressure on the biggest stage of this sport and made his share of contributions ! The awesome thing about this is he has a great amount of playoff experience. He’s only gonna get better!

10. antistratfordian - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Random Facts:

» Norris Cole tallied 20 PTS, 4 AST, 4 REB and 3 STL on 50% FG in his 2nd game as a pro.
    » Steve Nash did not reach these marks in a single contest until his 262nd game.
    » Kobe Bryant did not reach these marks in a single contest until his 113th game.
    » Kevin Durant did not reach these marks in a single contest until his 91st game.
    » Derrick Rose finally reached these marks in his 10th game.
    » LeBron James accomplished this in his very 1st game.

• cg2424 - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I’m missing the point you’re trying to make here…

• antistratfordian - Oct 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Who says I was trying to make a point? Does it not say “Random Facts” right there at the top? Yes, it does.

11. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Reading about my basketball team on PBT is so much less stressful for me than reading about my football team on PFT. Over here, I love everything they do. Over there? I don’t even want to know what’s going on over there. It will only upset me.

• miamatt - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Indeed, but settle down, brah. You gotta admit that starting off the season 3-2, with 3 outta 4 on the road to start is a proposition we all would have taken six weeks ago. And inspite of the last two weeks, the Phins are very much in the AFC playoff picture. Let the world declare them September frauds. Where we sit after week 17 won’t just be talk, it will be reality.

Are the Dolphins a true, super bowl-caliber contender? No no no no no no no no. But a talented team with a few major flaws? Sure, just like most teams that make the playoffs. It may not happen- and I sure understand the skepticism- but I can’t look at the opening five weeks of the season and see the Dolphins as anything other than a young team with its arrow pointing up.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Yes, would have taken 3-2. But it’s not the 3-2. It’s the offensive line. It’s really bad. Like historically bad. And it’s been figured out. I think we’re in trouble.

I already youtubed the top O-lineman in the 2014 draft. Never a good sign. The Matthews kid from A&M seems to be the top guy, but check out #71 from Alabama. Looks pretty good to me.

• miamatt - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM

^^^^^ oh, I get that…. the o-line is atrocious (not to mention our RBs especially and also TEs fail to fill their roles in regards to pass protection). The guards are a schematic mis-fit; Lamar Miller, and indeed our version of the west coast system, is best suited to a heavy dose of stretch plays. It’s great that Pouncey is the rare center who excels at pulling, but we shouldn’t need him to do that. I won’t even get into Clabo. I would compare the o-line this year to our WRs last year- an obvious problem that will hold us back this season and will get blown up and rebuilt as the no. 1 offseason priority.

But I think the AFC East is a “first team to 10 wins” division this year, and with all six division games still ahead, we are right there in the mix. I don’t think it is unreasonable to think the O-line could improve from terrible to merely mediocre…. I think the defense can and will get better… and I think Tannehill will be better in week 14 than he is now. We’ll see… but I think we will be in a lot of close games and the 4th quarter play of our QB and K will loom large. I think we are better in those two areas than we have been in quite a while…

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches