Oct 8, 2013, 4:59 PM EST
We first told you last night Hawks backup center Gustavo Ayón had to leave the game in the first quarter after colliding with Norris Cole of the Heat when going for a loose ball. Now the Hawks have an update on the health of the Mexico native and it’s not ideal.
Gustavo Ayón will miss 4-8 weeks after an MRI revealed inflammation and a rotator cuff strain. He hurt his right shoulder last night.—
Atlanta Hawks (@ATLHawks) October 08, 2013
That timeline likely has him back in mid-to-late November but it could stretch into December.
Ayon was going to be in the frontcourt rotation with Al Horford, Paul Millsap and Elton Brand, so those guys are going to have play a little more. This could mean more minutes for Pero Antic and Mike Scott.
Ayon had looked good this summer playing at FIBA Americas where he was the MVP of the tournament, now when he does return he’s going to have to fight for minutes in the ATL.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 1
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 15
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)