Doug Collins says he is done coaching, the business has changed

Oct 8, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT

Doug Collins AP

Doug Collins will be back on your television this year, working for ABC/ESPN as an analyst before games and also doing some color commentary.

He was in Philadelphia the last three years including this past season when, as he put it, the Sixers swung for the fences with Andrew Bynum. And whiffed. It was a good gamble at the time — Bynum was coming off a season where he had played 60 of the 66 regular season games and every postseason game, putting up career best numbers. But gambles by their very definition come with risk, and the Sixers came up snake eyes on that role of the dice.

Philly decided to rebuild and it was best for both sides if Collins, who was losing his young team, wasn’t part of it. So everyone shook hands and moved on.

So is Collins like a lot of analysts, just biding time until the next coaching gig opens up? Not in the least, he told Marc Stein at ESPN’s TrueHoop.

No, I’m through coaching. I said it when I went to Philly. That was my last spot. Like I said, it was a circle of life for me.

I was at a coaching clinic the other day at Illinois State talking about how difficult coaching has become. There’s so much criticism and you’re always under the microscope. It’s a tough, tough thing. There’s so much money involved because these franchises are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and the coach, whether it’s right or wrong, has to be in the spotlight all the time. That’s just the way the situation is….

Coaching is 24/7. You know it’s going to be on your mind all the time. But I feel like I never coached a team that underachieved and I feel very good about that. The respect that you look for is the respect of your peers and hopefully I have that. I always felt our teams were prepared and I feel like we had young players get better wherever I was. There’s certain things in coaching you can’t control, but I’m proud of what I’ve done as a coach and I’m excited about this part of my life.

Coaching is different now, the change in the media landscape has focused a brighter light on the guy in the big chair. There is no doubt Collins can coach — his first couple seasons in Philly he got a lot out of that team. But it was time to move on.

And it’s a win for us; he’s a good analyst.

Latest Posts
  1. Michael Carter-Williams cleared to return to practice Nov. 6

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Michael Carter-Williams

Reigning Rookie of the Year had offseason shoulder surgery, but may not miss many regular season games.

2. Gregg Popovich after Spurs go 2-5 in preseason: ‘We look like we’re not very interested’

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Gregg Popovich Gregg Popovich

Defending champs have no reason to exert themselves until the games count in the standings.

3. Nets head coach Hollins believes Brook Lopez will be ready for opening night

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014

Lopez hasn’t practiced since it was reported he suffered a soft tissue injury to his surgically repaired foot on Oct. 16.

4. Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension

Oct 25, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

Warriors hold (almost) all the leverage, because Thompson will be a restricted free agent next summer.

5. 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green

Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Lineup data shows Green greatly improves his team’s chances when playing with the starters.

6. 67RIEFNS: Lance Stephenson on the loose

Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers

Is Stephenson ready for responsibility that comes with going from Pacers to Hornets?

7. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

8. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

9. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

10. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

11. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

12. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches