Doug Collins says he is done coaching, the business has changed

Oct 8, 2013, 7:45 PM EST

Doug Collins AP

Doug Collins will be back on your television this year, working for ABC/ESPN as an analyst before games and also doing some color commentary.

He was in Philadelphia the last three years including this past season when, as he put it, the Sixers swung for the fences with Andrew Bynum. And whiffed. It was a good gamble at the time — Bynum was coming off a season where he had played 60 of the 66 regular season games and every postseason game, putting up career best numbers. But gambles by their very definition come with risk, and the Sixers came up snake eyes on that role of the dice.

Philly decided to rebuild and it was best for both sides if Collins, who was losing his young team, wasn’t part of it. So everyone shook hands and moved on.

So is Collins like a lot of analysts, just biding time until the next coaching gig opens up? Not in the least, he told Marc Stein at ESPN’s TrueHoop.

No, I’m through coaching. I said it when I went to Philly. That was my last spot. Like I said, it was a circle of life for me.

I was at a coaching clinic the other day at Illinois State talking about how difficult coaching has become. There’s so much criticism and you’re always under the microscope. It’s a tough, tough thing. There’s so much money involved because these franchises are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and the coach, whether it’s right or wrong, has to be in the spotlight all the time. That’s just the way the situation is….

Coaching is 24/7. You know it’s going to be on your mind all the time. But I feel like I never coached a team that underachieved and I feel very good about that. The respect that you look for is the respect of your peers and hopefully I have that. I always felt our teams were prepared and I feel like we had young players get better wherever I was. There’s certain things in coaching you can’t control, but I’m proud of what I’ve done as a coach and I’m excited about this part of my life.

Coaching is different now, the change in the media landscape has focused a brighter light on the guy in the big chair. There is no doubt Collins can coach — his first couple seasons in Philly he got a lot out of that team. But it was time to move on.

And it’s a win for us; he’s a good analyst.

Latest Posts
  1. If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster

Nov 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EST

US-BKN-NBA-BULLS-CLIPPERS US-BKN-NBA-BULLS-CLIPPERS

Mike James or Will Bynum could be added to the roster for a short stint.

2. Eric Bledsoe on flagrant foul he took from Nerlens Noel: ‘They did it on purpose’

Nov 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Philadelphia 76ers Phoenix Suns v Philadelphia 76ers

Bledsoe says the Sixers warned him before the game that he would be targeted for his previous comments.

3. Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week

Nov 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook AP

Both are expected to participate in parts of Saturday’s practice.

4. Pacers coach Frank Vogel: ‘very unlikely’ that Paul George plays this year

Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Paul George Paul George

George is trying to get back on the court before the season is finished.

5. Eric Bledsoe takes a shot to the face on first possession against Sixers (VIDEO)

Nov 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EST

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Bledsoe said yesterday that Philadelphia would lose to a college team.

6. Dwight Howard has plasma therapy (Kobe therapy) on right knee

Nov 21, 2014, 9:46 PM EST

Dwight Howard Dwight Howard

He will not play against the Mavericks, at least.

7. Michele Roberts: NBA agreed to work with union before attempt to ‘prove its toughness’ with Jeff Taylor suspension

Nov 21, 2014, 7:30 PM EST

Michele Roberts, the Executive Director of National Basketball Players Association Michele Roberts, the Executive Director of National Basketball Players Association

National Basketball Players Association executive director: NBA ‘chose to bend to the pressure it feels from the current media spotlight’

8. Al Michaels tells story of how Doc Rivers was almost Lakers coach in 2004-05

Nov 21, 2014, 5:59 PM EST

Any story that includes a chance meeting and conversation with Jerry Buss outside a men’s restroom is going to be golden.

9. John Wall: Veteran teammates used to think ‘I was a joke’

Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

Washington Wizards v Portland Trail Blazers Washington Wizards v Portland Trail Blazers

Former No. 1 pick knows he fought perception due to Wizards’ struggles

10. Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend

Nov 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Kobe calls owners ability to pressure players into discounts ‘brilliant’ — but it won’t work on him

11. Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension

Nov 21, 2014, 2:12 PM EST

Jeff Taylor mug

Hornets forward makes right move by accepting lengthy ban

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches