Doug Collins says he is done coaching, the business has changed

Oct 8, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT

Doug Collins AP

Doug Collins will be back on your television this year, working for ABC/ESPN as an analyst before games and also doing some color commentary.

He was in Philadelphia the last three years including this past season when, as he put it, the Sixers swung for the fences with Andrew Bynum. And whiffed. It was a good gamble at the time — Bynum was coming off a season where he had played 60 of the 66 regular season games and every postseason game, putting up career best numbers. But gambles by their very definition come with risk, and the Sixers came up snake eyes on that role of the dice.

Philly decided to rebuild and it was best for both sides if Collins, who was losing his young team, wasn’t part of it. So everyone shook hands and moved on.

So is Collins like a lot of analysts, just biding time until the next coaching gig opens up? Not in the least, he told Marc Stein at ESPN’s TrueHoop.

No, I’m through coaching. I said it when I went to Philly. That was my last spot. Like I said, it was a circle of life for me.

I was at a coaching clinic the other day at Illinois State talking about how difficult coaching has become. There’s so much criticism and you’re always under the microscope. It’s a tough, tough thing. There’s so much money involved because these franchises are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and the coach, whether it’s right or wrong, has to be in the spotlight all the time. That’s just the way the situation is….

Coaching is 24/7. You know it’s going to be on your mind all the time. But I feel like I never coached a team that underachieved and I feel very good about that. The respect that you look for is the respect of your peers and hopefully I have that. I always felt our teams were prepared and I feel like we had young players get better wherever I was. There’s certain things in coaching you can’t control, but I’m proud of what I’ve done as a coach and I’m excited about this part of my life.

Coaching is different now, the change in the media landscape has focused a brighter light on the guy in the big chair. There is no doubt Collins can coach — his first couple seasons in Philly he got a lot out of that team. But it was time to move on.

And it’s a win for us; he’s a good analyst.

1. miamatt - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I imagine it’s hard telling 20 year old millionaires anything. I sure don’t envy the jobs these coaches have.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I hear ya. I am weirdly sympathetic toward Doug Collins.

• churchillone - Oct 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM

20, no 18 year old millionaires. Try doing that, IM-POSS-I-BLE

2. officialgame - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM

He quit on the team last year and for that he lost a lot of respect in Philly.

3. abxyer - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Collins has always been a class act and a basketball mastermind.

4. johngalt1783 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Collins moving to ESPN/ABC will raise the quality of their NBA commentary

5. ihavenonickname - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Great news, I love watching the games he calls.

6. antistratfordian - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

“I was at a coaching clinic the other day at Illinois State talking about how difficult coaching has become. There’s so much criticism and you’re always under the microscope.”

That applies to players too. But you rarely see a retired player talk about how much more difficult it must be to play these days with the level of scrutiny amped up to 11. It takes an entirely different mentality to keep going through all of that.

7. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Collins should be regarded as an All-Time Anerican Olympic Hero. Hit the two biggest free throws in US basketball history. Collins, more than anyone, was robbed of his legacy in Munich

• Kevin S. - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Your handle is rather ironic for this comment.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Irony and Coincidence are not the same thing. Didn’t you see Reality Bites?

• skids003 - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I watched that again the other day, you’re right, he was literally out on his feet from the hit he took, then sank them both. Great coach, dealing with these divas has to be difficult. In the NBA, the clowns are running the circus.

8. eagles512 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Best analyst in any sport.

9. titansbro - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

The hardest part has to be dealing with these primadonnas day in day out knowing that at any time one of these petulant babies can get you fired.

10. beaverdam21 - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Just one person’s opinion, but could it maybe just be his own style more than generalized increased attention??? The pattern always seemed to be the same – come in to a down team, yell at them, tough discipline, old school, like he said the young ones always did learn, but at some point he always seemed to lose them and things would peter out, and he maybe just got tired of that treadmill. Loved him in college, remember that Olympics game like it was yesterday, and yes he is a great announcer but his legacy is as pro coach, and he never seemed to get to where he could get the max out of his players, and it was on to another project. Kind of too bad.

11. misterdreamer119 - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM

average nba coach.

12. gmsingh123 - Oct 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Collins is right, NBA coaching is more about how well you handle bloated egos than it is about x’s and o’s.

13. telldatruth - Oct 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Bummer! Does this mean Hubby Brown is out? I hope not! Collins isn’t better than Hubby

14. whereyaat - Oct 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Happy to see Collins return to the mike, he’s a great color man. Also a big fan of Hubie Brown and Jack Ramsay, both of whom are really weird and funny at times. Unfortunately, it looks like Ramsay retired in May due to health issues. I hope he can return to the booth and lives another 88 years in retirement.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview