Oct 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
This post starts with a caveat: Don’t read too much into the preseason. Starters sit or play limited minutes while guys who will be in the D-League or Europe in a few weeks get serious run.
That said… damn Anthony Davis has looked good.
Through two games he has 46 points on 20-of-37 shooting (54 percent) for the Pelicans. He was one of the standouts out of the Team USA mini-camp in Las Vegas this summer and has carried over a growing, expanded game to the start of the preseason.
What’s more interesting is he’s getting those points — by attacking the rim off the dribble.
Sure, he still gets buckets because he’s long and moves well off the ball, and yes he’s starting to develop a jumper, but that’s a work in progress. But he’s attacking. Monday against Dallas he was 0-5 from outside the paint and 11-14 in it. He’s making a quick decision to attacking off the dribble, where his length and quickness make him very tough to stop. Henry Abbot broke the same thing down after his first preseason game against Houston.
Davis didn’t hit all night with his jumper, but on the drive he barely missed, hitting a couple of floaters, a memorable reverse and an old-fashioned running layup. Those made floaters — high-skill shots — can serve as the latest in a series of hints that Davis has a soft touch worth developing.
When Davis came into the league he was seen as an offensive project. His defense was going to come along quickly but it would take a few years for his offense to catch up. Well, after a rookie season where injuries nagged him it looks like it’s starting to catch up (at least somewhat, note the preseason caveat). He’s got a ways to go (that jumper, for example) but you can see the improvement.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16