Oct 8, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
This post starts with a caveat: Don’t read too much into the preseason. Starters sit or play limited minutes while guys who will be in the D-League or Europe in a few weeks get serious run.
That said… damn Anthony Davis has looked good.
Through two games he has 46 points on 20-of-37 shooting (54 percent) for the Pelicans. He was one of the standouts out of the Team USA mini-camp in Las Vegas this summer and has carried over a growing, expanded game to the start of the preseason.
What’s more interesting is he’s getting those points — by attacking the rim off the dribble.
Sure, he still gets buckets because he’s long and moves well off the ball, and yes he’s starting to develop a jumper, but that’s a work in progress. But he’s attacking. Monday against Dallas he was 0-5 from outside the paint and 11-14 in it. He’s making a quick decision to attacking off the dribble, where his length and quickness make him very tough to stop. Henry Abbot broke the same thing down after his first preseason game against Houston.
Davis didn’t hit all night with his jumper, but on the drive he barely missed, hitting a couple of floaters, a memorable reverse and an old-fashioned running layup. Those made floaters — high-skill shots — can serve as the latest in a series of hints that Davis has a soft touch worth developing.
When Davis came into the league he was seen as an offensive project. His defense was going to come along quickly but it would take a few years for his offense to catch up. Well, after a rookie season where injuries nagged him it looks like it’s starting to catch up (at least somewhat, note the preseason caveat). He’s got a ways to go (that jumper, for example) but you can see the improvement.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 1
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 5
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 10