Metta World Peace says he wrote a book about the Malice at the Palace

Oct 7, 2013, 1:41 AM EDT

ron-artest-at-the-malice-in-the-palace AP

Metta World Peace is not the same guy from The Malice at the Palace.

You remember, it was Nov. 19, 2004, the then Ron Artest had fouled Ben Wallace hard, shoving ensued but nothing out of the ordinary had gone on, so Artest did the very Artest thing of laying on the scorer’s table to wait for everything to blow over. Then a fan threw and hit him with a drink, Artest went into the crowd to find him and quickly huge black eye for the league broke out. Fans fighting players is never a good thing.

(Side note, the best thing I may have ever read about it was Jonathan Abrams oral history at Grantland.)

For some fans that will always be the image of Artest, but the man who is now Metta World Peace is a more mature person. He’s not sitting around watching “Downton Abbey” and reading the New Yorker, but he’s matured. He has a much broader worldview.

And he’s an author of more than children’s literature. He wrote a book about the entire Malice at the Palace. That’s what he said in a Q&A with the New York Post (which also covers some interesting ground about his upbringing and how that impacted him as a person).

Q: The Malice at the Palace.

A: I wrote a book about it, son. I think I’m gonna wait to talk about it. But I wrote a book about that whole experience….

Q: Do you think it affected your reputation?

A: Maybe like 500,000 people still talk about it, or a million people. But the other 6.9 billion people in the world, I think they got other things to worry about, you know — from the economy, to Middle East problems, to starvation in some countries, to girl trafficking in some countries, to gang violence. There’s so many other problems in the world.

Well he’s right, rice farmers in rural Thailand do not care about the Malice at the Palace. He’s right that even something relatively serious like this still happened at a sporting event and should be kept in some context because of that. Still, how he phrases it gives you an idea into his mindset.

I’m still curious about the book, his view of the events and how he looks back at it all now. We all look back on things from 10 years ago we regret, World Peace’s was just on a much, much more public stage.

1. stankcobra - Oct 7, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I’m not so sure that the old Ron Artest isn’t still somewhere inside MWP ready to elbow people in the head. He’s calmed a little, but he’d probably still Hulk smash under the proper conditions.

All I know is that there isn’t a fan anywhere near the court that is willing to throw something at him to find out.

2. cavredleg15 - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM

Having been deployed in Iraq at the time. That slap fight does not register on my radar. Nor does the behavior of any athelete. Shut up and play.

3. jcmeyer10 - Oct 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM

It is a children’s book to boot.

4. metalhead65 - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

first of all who would let their kids read a book written by this psycho? just because he has gotten older does not make him more mature or sane. he not only ruined his reputation by going into the stands but also destroyed a pacers team capable of doing some serious damage to in the league that year. it destroyed the team and forced them to do a total rebuild to the franchise. thanks to Larry Bird they have risen from the ashes but what he did to the franchise can’t and should not be forgotten. clowns like him and rodman should be ignored and forgotten about after they leave the game no matter what stupid stunts they do to keep themselves in the public eye. just live your freakish lives without me having to hear about your every move.

5. freddysanford - Oct 7, 2013 at 9:54 AM

The IDIOT coat of arms has Artest’s mugshot in it

6. asimonetti88 - Oct 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Geez, a bunch of haters this morning! Keep doing you MWP.

7. davidly - Oct 8, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I personally harbor more animosity against the Artest Formerly Known as RonRon for his elbow to Harden than I do the Detroit incident, and I say that as a Pacers’ fan.

I was more heartbroken about the Malice, because that team was awesome and, alas, the promise was not to be. While it’s irrefutable that his psychological makeup contributed to the ensuing events at that game, there were so many other factors involved* that I forgave him. As a fan of his and the Pacers, I was rooting for him as a human being, not just a basketball player. To lay all the blame of the Pacers’ ensuing demise at MWP’s feet is a tad narrow-minded, in my opinion.

*not least of which the psychological makeup of some of the Pistons, Pacers, and the fan in question

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches