Oct 7, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Ah, preseason. It’s a time of unbridled optimism for fans, front office people, coaches and even owners.
In Dallas they have put together an interesting but kind of ragtag roster — Dirk Nowitzki is the star, Jose Calderon the point, Monta Ellis to score points then guys like Shawn Marion, Vince Carter and Samuel Dalembert to fill roles. There is potential, but the real question is how you fit all those odd pieces together.
Well, it would help if Monta Ellis would pass more and take fewer contested jumpers off the pick-and-roll.
“I think he wants to be a compliment to Dirk as opposed to being the guy,’’ owner Mark Cuban said after Sunday’s practice at American Airlines Center. “He’s a good passer, a willing passer and he gets where he wants to on the court.
“He’s committed to playing defense, he’s a willing learner and he’s a got a high basketball IQ.’’
That would be the same Monta Ellis who days ago said he was going to play “Monta-ball.” Which based on recent examples suggests a lot of contested jumpers on one end and not much defense on the other.
I’ll look at this through the Missouri Test — show me. Prove it in games.
Both Ellis and Brandon Jennings said they had to take a lot of contested shots in Milwaukee because of the offensive talent around them and the system. Call me skeptical. Ellis is a fearless gunner of a shooter — which on the right night can light a team up but on other nights can mean missed shots while better options (read: Nowitzki) are on the court.
Until proven otherwise, expect more Monta-ball than sharp passing.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4