Oct 7, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Ah, preseason. It’s a time of unbridled optimism for fans, front office people, coaches and even owners.
In Dallas they have put together an interesting but kind of ragtag roster — Dirk Nowitzki is the star, Jose Calderon the point, Monta Ellis to score points then guys like Shawn Marion, Vince Carter and Samuel Dalembert to fill roles. There is potential, but the real question is how you fit all those odd pieces together.
Well, it would help if Monta Ellis would pass more and take fewer contested jumpers off the pick-and-roll.
“I think he wants to be a compliment to Dirk as opposed to being the guy,’’ owner Mark Cuban said after Sunday’s practice at American Airlines Center. “He’s a good passer, a willing passer and he gets where he wants to on the court.
“He’s committed to playing defense, he’s a willing learner and he’s a got a high basketball IQ.’’
That would be the same Monta Ellis who days ago said he was going to play “Monta-ball.” Which based on recent examples suggests a lot of contested jumpers on one end and not much defense on the other.
I’ll look at this through the Missouri Test — show me. Prove it in games.
Both Ellis and Brandon Jennings said they had to take a lot of contested shots in Milwaukee because of the offensive talent around them and the system. Call me skeptical. Ellis is a fearless gunner of a shooter — which on the right night can light a team up but on other nights can mean missed shots while better options (read: Nowitzki) are on the court.
Until proven otherwise, expect more Monta-ball than sharp passing.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7