Oct 7, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Ah, preseason. It’s a time of unbridled optimism for fans, front office people, coaches and even owners.
In Dallas they have put together an interesting but kind of ragtag roster — Dirk Nowitzki is the star, Jose Calderon the point, Monta Ellis to score points then guys like Shawn Marion, Vince Carter and Samuel Dalembert to fill roles. There is potential, but the real question is how you fit all those odd pieces together.
Well, it would help if Monta Ellis would pass more and take fewer contested jumpers off the pick-and-roll.
“I think he wants to be a compliment to Dirk as opposed to being the guy,’’ owner Mark Cuban said after Sunday’s practice at American Airlines Center. “He’s a good passer, a willing passer and he gets where he wants to on the court.
“He’s committed to playing defense, he’s a willing learner and he’s a got a high basketball IQ.’’
That would be the same Monta Ellis who days ago said he was going to play “Monta-ball.” Which based on recent examples suggests a lot of contested jumpers on one end and not much defense on the other.
I’ll look at this through the Missouri Test — show me. Prove it in games.
Both Ellis and Brandon Jennings said they had to take a lot of contested shots in Milwaukee because of the offensive talent around them and the system. Call me skeptical. Ellis is a fearless gunner of a shooter — which on the right night can light a team up but on other nights can mean missed shots while better options (read: Nowitzki) are on the court.
Until proven otherwise, expect more Monta-ball than sharp passing.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 30
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 85
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13