Oct 7, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
My first thought is it moves Anthony to the three when he performs better at the four, plus that puts a world of defensive pressure on Chandler. However this is why the preseason exists, run this lineup out there and see how it looks, how they interact.
Knicks coach Mike Woodson has and he likes what he sees, he told ESPNNewYork.com.
“It’s looking good,” Woodson said on Sunday. “I don’t know who’s going to start yet. But I like the makeup of Andrea and Melo on the floor at the same time with Tyson [Chandler]. In the scrimmage we worked that combination. It wasn’t bad.”
“Me and ‘B’ had a great week, just playing together, spacing it out on the court, me trying to learn from him, him trying to learn from me, trying to see what spots he likes out there on the basketball court,” Anthony said. “For the most part, he’s actually a smart player; he can play off people.”
I’d be surprised if Bargnani starts, the lineup with Metta World Peace at the three and Anthony at the four makes more sense. But if Bargnani is hitting his outside shot — remember he shot 30.9 percent from three last season and was worse the season before that — you can see the potential for spacing that could help open things up for Anthony. How about a 3/5 pick-and-roll with Anthony and Chandler, while Bargnani spaces the defense out in the corner?
It’s a matter of matchups because you can hide a defender on Barnani and pay more attention to Anthony. It’s pretty clear I’m not a fan of what Bargnani brings to New York because I’ve watched him in Toronto — he might give the Knicks some Steve Novak level of production (he his some shots but can’t defend or rebound), however with the wild price tag. of $23.3 million the next two seasons.
But this is why we have preseason, run the lineup out there and see how it works.
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 5
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 23
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17