Oct 7, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
My first thought is it moves Anthony to the three when he performs better at the four, plus that puts a world of defensive pressure on Chandler. However this is why the preseason exists, run this lineup out there and see how it looks, how they interact.
Knicks coach Mike Woodson has and he likes what he sees, he told ESPNNewYork.com.
“It’s looking good,” Woodson said on Sunday. “I don’t know who’s going to start yet. But I like the makeup of Andrea and Melo on the floor at the same time with Tyson [Chandler]. In the scrimmage we worked that combination. It wasn’t bad.”
“Me and ‘B’ had a great week, just playing together, spacing it out on the court, me trying to learn from him, him trying to learn from me, trying to see what spots he likes out there on the basketball court,” Anthony said. “For the most part, he’s actually a smart player; he can play off people.”
I’d be surprised if Bargnani starts, the lineup with Metta World Peace at the three and Anthony at the four makes more sense. But if Bargnani is hitting his outside shot — remember he shot 30.9 percent from three last season and was worse the season before that — you can see the potential for spacing that could help open things up for Anthony. How about a 3/5 pick-and-roll with Anthony and Chandler, while Bargnani spaces the defense out in the corner?
It’s a matter of matchups because you can hide a defender on Barnani and pay more attention to Anthony. It’s pretty clear I’m not a fan of what Bargnani brings to New York because I’ve watched him in Toronto — he might give the Knicks some Steve Novak level of production (he his some shots but can’t defend or rebound), however with the wild price tag. of $23.3 million the next two seasons.
But this is why we have preseason, run the lineup out there and see how it works.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 18
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17