Oct 7, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Tom Thibodeau was pretty clear from the start — Derrick Rose was going to get normal preseason minutes for a starter. That works out to about 20 minutes a game.
That’s exactly what Rose got in the Bulls first game — but he wanted more, he told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
Rose played 20 minutes and 26 seconds in Saturday’s preseason-opening win over the Pacers in Indianapolis but wanted to play more.
“It’s tough, especially for it to be a close game like it was and to be sitting out,” explained the former league MVP, who scored 13 points. “Just wanted to test myself a little bit more, but I wasn’t able to.”
As we have broken down, Rose looked good in his return. Rusty, but the explosiveness was there and he was playing with the fearless style he was known for — that is the big key. The rust will shake off, the floater will return, the bigger concern was the attitude and that was in place.
It’s going to be a long season, no reason to put extra minutes on Rose now.
One other interesting bit of pressure on Rose this year — plenty of people around the league will tell you that the relationship between Thibodeau and Bulls GM Gar Forman is fractured. But at Yahoo Sports Adrian Wojnarowski suggests Rose is the one guy that could keep the Bulls and that relationship together.
Between Forman and Thibodeau the disconnect is deep, but Rose’s reconstructed knee could be a powerful agent of reconciliation. With transcendent talents, there come redemptive powers. No one wants to be ousted with Rose on the roster, because he is one of those once-in-a-lifetime players for executives and coaches.
That may be too much pressure for even Rose.
Look at the organizations that have won titles or competed for them the last few seasons — the Heat with Pat Riley at the helm, the Spurs, the Dallas Mavericks with Mark Cuban, the Los Angeles Lakers under Dr. Jerry Buss, the Boston Celtics. They all have the coach and the GM on the same page with the owner. San Antonio is the perfect example — from R.C. Buford down to the kid with the mop soaking up sweat under the basket during games, everyone is on the same page. If not, it’s hard for an organization to move that far forward.
You wonder if that is what will undo the Bulls.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 62
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32