Oct 6, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is in Germany (he was going to get around to telling Mike D’Antoni he was going but it slipped his mind). Pau Gasol and Steve Nash were watching in suits. So the Lakers had to turn to some of the guys fighting to make the team/get minutes to step up against Golden State in a preseason game Saturday night.
They got Xavier Henry, who dropped 29 points on the night. Henry is battling Nick Young and Wes Johnson to try to get minutes on the wing (particularly once Kobe returns and really soaks up minutes in that space). This helped Henry, but he’s going to need to be a lot more consistent with these kinds of efforts to win everyone over — he’s a career 29 percent shooter from three and 62 percent overall (in this game he was 9-of-15 from the field and 2-of-4 from three).
- LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics 6
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 5
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 13
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 10
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14