Oct 6, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is in Germany (he was going to get around to telling Mike D’Antoni he was going but it slipped his mind). Pau Gasol and Steve Nash were watching in suits. So the Lakers had to turn to some of the guys fighting to make the team/get minutes to step up against Golden State in a preseason game Saturday night.
They got Xavier Henry, who dropped 29 points on the night. Henry is battling Nick Young and Wes Johnson to try to get minutes on the wing (particularly once Kobe returns and really soaks up minutes in that space). This helped Henry, but he’s going to need to be a lot more consistent with these kinds of efforts to win everyone over — he’s a career 29 percent shooter from three and 62 percent overall (in this game he was 9-of-15 from the field and 2-of-4 from three).
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 22
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23