Oct 6, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
Kobe Bryant is in Germany (he was going to get around to telling Mike D’Antoni he was going but it slipped his mind). Pau Gasol and Steve Nash were watching in suits. So the Lakers had to turn to some of the guys fighting to make the team/get minutes to step up against Golden State in a preseason game Saturday night.
They got Xavier Henry, who dropped 29 points on the night. Henry is battling Nick Young and Wes Johnson to try to get minutes on the wing (particularly once Kobe returns and really soaks up minutes in that space). This helped Henry, but he’s going to need to be a lot more consistent with these kinds of efforts to win everyone over — he’s a career 29 percent shooter from three and 62 percent overall (in this game he was 9-of-15 from the field and 2-of-4 from three).
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 2
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1