Oct 6, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Jose Calderon was one of the free agent pickups by the Mavericks that lets you know they have no interest in rebuilding, and after missing the playoffs for the first time in 13 years last season, are trying to get back as soon as possible.
Calderon is a productive point guard, but he’s also an aging one who Dallas signed to a four-year contract this summer. At 31 years old, the team isn’t going to do anything to jeopardize his availability for the rest of the season, so it’s not a surprise that they’re treating a minor injury of his with an extra bit of caution.
Jose Calderon was able to return to parts of practice, but his hamstring injury is likely to make him a no-go against New Orleans in the preseason opener Monday night.
“He participated in about half of it,” coach Rick Carlisle said after practice. “He’s doing better. He’s going to be fine. He knows what we’re doing.
“He’s probably not going to go tomorrow. He played all summer, too. We got to be mindful of that. We need him for Oct. 30 is when we need him.”
In addition to being a solid floor general that should be able to work pick-and-rolls with Dirk Nowitzki to perfection, Calderon was lights out from three-point distance last year, leading the league in that category by shooting 46.1 percent.
Calderon played for Spain in this summer’s Eurobasket competition, so the extra rest should benefit him before the start of the regular season.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)