Oct 6, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
We wrote a lot about Austin Rivers while seeing him in action at Summer League in Las Vegas, and with good reason. Rivers was terrible for most of last year, but then was able to string together a series of nice performances just before breaking his hand which prematurely ended his season.
Rivers looked good in Vegas, but his team is now loaded at the guard spots with Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, and Eric Gordon all in place on the roster. He got plenty of playing time in the Pelicans’ preseason-opening win over the Rockets, and if he can be consistent with those types of performances — which included this highlight lob pass in traffic to Anthony Davis for the slam — then head coach Monty Williams will have a good kind of problem in terms of trying to manage the distribution of his backcourt minutes.
Rivers finished with 21 points on 7-of-18 shooting, to go along with five assists and just one turnover in 31 minutes of action.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday 0
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 8
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 16
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)