Oct 6, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
We wrote a lot about Austin Rivers while seeing him in action at Summer League in Las Vegas, and with good reason. Rivers was terrible for most of last year, but then was able to string together a series of nice performances just before breaking his hand which prematurely ended his season.
Rivers looked good in Vegas, but his team is now loaded at the guard spots with Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, and Eric Gordon all in place on the roster. He got plenty of playing time in the Pelicans’ preseason-opening win over the Rockets, and if he can be consistent with those types of performances — which included this highlight lob pass in traffic to Anthony Davis for the slam — then head coach Monty Williams will have a good kind of problem in terms of trying to manage the distribution of his backcourt minutes.
Rivers finished with 21 points on 7-of-18 shooting, to go along with five assists and just one turnover in 31 minutes of action.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 23
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 39
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 29
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12