Oct 6, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
We wrote a lot about Austin Rivers while seeing him in action at Summer League in Las Vegas, and with good reason. Rivers was terrible for most of last year, but then was able to string together a series of nice performances just before breaking his hand which prematurely ended his season.
Rivers looked good in Vegas, but his team is now loaded at the guard spots with Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, and Eric Gordon all in place on the roster. He got plenty of playing time in the Pelicans’ preseason-opening win over the Rockets, and if he can be consistent with those types of performances — which included this highlight lob pass in traffic to Anthony Davis for the slam — then head coach Monty Williams will have a good kind of problem in terms of trying to manage the distribution of his backcourt minutes.
Rivers finished with 21 points on 7-of-18 shooting, to go along with five assists and just one turnover in 31 minutes of action.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 8
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34