Oct 5, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
The Wizards have suffered far more than their fair share of injuries recently, making it difficult to climb out of the five-year funk that has let the team out of the postseason picture.
Wizards owner Ted Leonsis expects to see improvement this year, and is placing pressure on his players to produce results. While injuries have been a very real issue for the team to deal with, Leonsis says that he no longer wants to hear that as an excuse.
“We have 13 healthy players and the one thing I’m not allowing anybody to do is use injuries as an excuse,” Leonsis said at a news conference. “We have 15 players under contract. Two can’t start the season. That means we have 13. That’s all you can dress anyway.
“Last year, there was a pass given. We didn’t have Nene and John Wall, our two best players. Understandable.” …
“We’ve retained our players. We’ve added a lot of players. We’ve spent a lot of money. And I expect us to be a playoff-caliber team. …That’s the pressure I’ve placed on the organization.”
Had I been at this press conference, I would have asked Leonsis a follow-up to his “no using injuries as an excuse” statement, and it would have gone something like this: What does that even mean?
If guys are legitimately injured, that’s not an excuse. It’s an actual reason that they are unable to play. You can’t possibly live up to expectations if your best players are constantly missing time due to injury — just ask last year’s Lakers about that.
Things should indeed be improved in D.C. this year, and the team has an outside shot of making the playoffs if all the right pieces fall into place. But injuries would derail that dream rather quickly, and Leonsis more than most should be aware of that unfortunate possibility.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32