Tyson Chandler motivated by getting his ‘a– kicked’ by Roy Hibbert in the playoffs

Oct 5, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers v New York Knicks Getty Images

The Knicks made it to the second round of the playoffs, only to be bounced from the postseason by a very tough Pacers team in a six-game series.

Tyson Chandler was wholeheartedly outplayed by Indiana’s Roy Hibbert, due in part to injury and illness which limited his ability to perform at that late stage of the season. Chandler averaged six points and six rebounds in the series against the Pacers — hardly enough to offset Hibbert’s impact, or to hep his team advance.

Chandler is making no excuses, but was disappointed by his postseason effort. He’s using it as motivation to get better for the upcoming season.

From Marc Berman of the New York Post:

“I vowed to myself I would never let that happen again,” Chandler said Friday. “I would never let my team down and be in that situation again.”

In Chandler’s defense, he was coming off a neck injury and strep throat that caused him to lose 12 pounds.

“I’ve got to make sure that doesn’t happen,” Chandler added, referring to his second-round performance. “It’s not about him. It’s about me. My job is to stop whoever is in front of me and outplay them, no matter who it is. I’ve got to look at it like motivation, like I got my ass kicked. So next time I’m not going to let that happen.’’

If Chandler was playing at 100 percent and was dominated by Hibbert, this might be somewhat understandable. But fighting through injury to battle one of the best centers in the game is nothing to be ashamed of, and Chandler, when healthy, has more than enough defensively to deal with the likes of Hibbert in a long playoff series.

1. papichulo55 - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Good to read that Chandler offered no excuses. Hope he has a healthy season, but, invariably, all teams are battered and bruised for the Playoffs. But like Mr. Barkley noted, the best teams win NBA Playoff series. Chandler will be OK. Amare and JR are the big question marks. Melo will leave if they lose Bragging rights in NY.

2. johngalt1783 - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Chandler has fought injuries his entire career. He has played in the NBA 12 seasons and averaged 67 games a season. Last season he was on par playing in 66 games. Tyson Chandler being injured is par for the course.

3. bux1022 - Oct 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Chandler never makes excuses!! And Melo will not leave the Knicks period!

4. jimeejohnson - Oct 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Can’t wait till that first meeting between Chandler and Hibbert.

• abxyer - Oct 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Still…advantage Hibbert

5. pistolpete0903 - Oct 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I hope he MEANS it when he said that.
    Too many times, I have seen players making tall claims/statements in the pre-season and then either fall short or don’t show up during the match-up.

On another note, it is good to see the emergence of the big man. As much as I like to see the OKC and Heat style of b’ball; it is good to have the old-school variety as well.

6. bux1022 - Oct 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

A healthy Chandler has enough defensive prowess to shut most centers down! 2014 defensive player of the year!!

Big apple biz!!

7. pacers24 - Oct 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

yeah and now Hibbert has bulked up and packed on at leas 15 lbs of muscle not to mention added moves to his offensive game. Chandler doesnt stand a chance healthy or not

• johngalt1783 - Oct 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Last year Valanciunas slighty outplayed Hibbert in their four meetings. I think HIbbert should worry first about getting good enough to outplay Valanciunas before he starts talking about Chandler

You can check their head to head match-up numbers at BasketballReference

• casualcommenter - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I’m pretty sure that if Hibbert wants to argue he can outplay Tyson Chandler using numbers from last season, he’s NOT going to refer to his numbers against Jonas Valanciunas.

Instead, he’ll probably refer to his numbers against, oh, I don’t know…TYSON CHANDLER HIMSELF.

Lol. What a weak argument.

8. antistratfordian - Oct 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

It’s not like Hibbert was lighting it up himself. He had single digit scoring in half the games and shot 46%.

Sometimes when we talk about big men in this era I recall what Charles Barkley said about the watered down 90s: “You look at some of the guys starting in this league these days and it makes you shake your head.”

In the 90s it was more total, but today the big man has been neutralized because of guys like LeBron and Durant – guys the size of centers but with the game of guards.

9. lakerade - Oct 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I love all the posturing and yapping going on in the Eastern Conference, several teams truly believe in their chances, or are selling that anyway. Hurry up, season!

10. sensiblevoice - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

How about building a little muscle so your @$$ stays unkicked Mr. chandler

11. nygrwy - Oct 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Spoken like a true warrior because if you disappear a 3rd time in a row in the playoffs….

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches