Joakim Noah to miss ‘first couple’ preseason games due to injury

Oct 5, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

source: AP

The Bulls open their preseason schedule Saturday in Indiana against the Pacers, and all eyes will be on Derrick Rose as he returns to action for the fist time in almost 18 months.

Rose won’t be playing alongside his team’s full compliment of players, however, as Joakim Noah will be sidelined due to injury.

From Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago:

Coach Tom Thibodeau finally revealed Friday that Noah has missed the last three practices with a groin issue, but characterized it as a minor injury. Thibodeau said that Noah would miss Saturday’s game, but Noah revealed that his absence would be longer.

“We’re just trying to be smart and I probably won’t play for the first couple of preseason games,” Noah said. “It’s unfortunate. I want to be out there real bad but we’re going to be smart and I will be ready when it counts.”

Noah said he’d play through the issue if these were games that count, but at some point his durability is going to come into question if he keeps struggling with injury.

Noah has been limited by plantar fasciitis in recent seasons.

There’s no sense playing while injured at this early stage of the preseason, so the Bulls are doing the smart thing in holding Noah out. What will be even more important to his long-term health is a reduction of minutes during the regular season — something Thibodeau has promised to make a priority this year.

1. sellahh - Oct 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Damn, this sucks. I love Noah’s hustle but players like him get injured so often (Varejao…).
    I’d be ecstatic if Noah got a ring this year.

• gmsingh - Oct 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Joachim is like the anti-Dwight Howard. No one will ever doubt his will to win.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Oct 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I had pure hatred for this guy when he came out of college, I just didn’t like the way he carried himself at all. He turned it to be way more effective in the NBA than I ever thought he would, and I got a lot of respect for him now. I would be ecstatic if my lowly 76ers could get their hands on a solid big man that hustles like Noah…

3. nflcinbengals - Oct 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Get healthy soon big fella, we need you!

D.Rose!!!!!!

#Seered

4. 00maltliquor - Oct 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I love Noah, he’s one of my favorite players but man he stays injured! I bet he came out his mother’s womb with an injury.

5. lakerade - Oct 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

He’ll be there when it counts, but yes, anxious to see a full strength Bulls squad this season.

6. ironman682 - Oct 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

He is a heck of a hustler, but he needs to take care of himself and his team instead of worrying about other teams business, because the trash talking is becoming unnecessary and not working for him and it gets him into trouble, technical’s, kicked out of games which eventually hurt his team all the time.
    It makes him fight a losing battle all the time.

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

all the time?

7. asublimeday - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Noah is an actual gamer so he deserves the rest. Get back soon. We need you to lead this team.

8. stankcobra - Oct 7, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Groin? I thought he had a foot problem.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

He has had ongoing foot issues the past couple seasons.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches