Derrick Rose’s first basket in preseason return against Pacers (VIDEO)

Oct 5, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

The wait is over.

Derrick Rose returned to the court for the first time in almost 18 months on Saturday, playing as part of the starting lineup for the Bulls in the team’s preseason opener against the Pacers.

Rose started off slowly, initiating the offense and preferring to observe his teammates go to work during the early possessions. But he got his first bucket with 8:50 to go in the first.

After absorbing the contact from Roy Hibbert on the drive and missing the shot, Rose kept after it, getting the offensive rebound and putback with an athletic move at the basket.

[via Matt Moore at EOB]

1. kingwithringz - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hate the Bulls, but Glad to see him back and healthy.

2. divineoct2013 - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Welcome back D-Rose !!! We crave for more of your show-stopping performances this season. Show us the fierceness you had talked about!

3. divineoct2013 - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Excited to see more of your fascinating moves. Go, D-Rose !!!

4. antistratfordian - Oct 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Good to see him back out there.

• limonadamas - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM

That’s very sportsmanlike of you. I’m impressed! I guess you’re only a jerk when it comes to Kobe. hahaha =P

• antistratfordian - Oct 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Signor Bryant non prevedeva che i polli sarebbero venuti al pettine così presto. Essendo un giovane contadino me stesso, i polli vengono al pettine non mi fanno tristezza, ma sempre mi ha fatto felice.

• limonadamas - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:18 AM

You lost me, even with Google Translate. It must be your vastly superior IQ. haha

5. nflcinbengals - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

YES SIR!!!!
    LETS GET IT

6. steelers33 - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I think DRose is going to have a monster year like Adrian Peterson did after his torn ACL. He’s gonna be as explosive as ever after all that working out rehabbing his knee.

• antistratfordian - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Here’s a little secret about Peterson that no one is really mentioning because of his recent numbers: AP is not as explosive as he was before he injured his knee. He can still get it done, obviously – and the difference might be imperceptible to the uninitiated – but the guy who ran for 296 yards against the Chargers was more explosive and precise.

• kb2408 - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Considering AP had a career best year, and nearly broke the rushing record, I beg to differ.

• antistratfordian - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM

You don’t need to be the perfect specimen Adrian Peterson from 2007 to run for 2000+ yards or rush for 295 yards in a game (see Jamal Lewis).

You can have a dominant year as a running back and not be at peak physical shape or have prototypical attributes.

AP lost a little something physically, but he has made up for it in drive and study.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Not only did he have the second most yards… of anyone… ever… he set his own personal bests with 6.0 yards/carry and 27 runs of 20 yards or more. I have a hard time seeing where he lost any explosiveness last year.

• antistratfordian - Oct 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

You can have career highs in statistics without being as explosive as you were before. What you learn through experience can more than make up for any small decline physically.

And you are talking to probably the biggest Adrian Peterson fan here. I had him tagged as the next GOAT RB contender when he was still a teenager. Last year was one of the better joys of my life as a fan of the game and former RB living through him. But because I am so familiar with him, perhaps I can see subtle changes that maybe others cannot…

You know, Barry Sanders had his best year after he lost a little speed. When he ran for 2053 at age 29 his 40 time was no longer what it was when he was younger, and defenders were starting to make more ground on him from behind. I think he sensed that and fortunately wrapped up his career before it became too obvious. (Barry is an all-time hero of mine)

But I’ve mentioned this about Peterson to several people and some have noticed it too, so I won’t give myself too much credit here.

• dls612 - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Ok besides the fact you think he’s going to have an explosive year! I’m here to tell you so are some other NBA players! His team needs to have an explosive year to get pass the CAMPS! CHUMP!

7. kb2408 - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Oh, ok…thanks for clearing that up.
    #sarcasm….

• antistratfordian - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Just because Peterson had his best year doesn’t ALSO mean that he is as explosive as ever. You can have a career year at less than prime.

Jordan won most of his rings after his physical prime. Who was better? 1988 Jordan or 1996 Jordan? 1988 Jordan was much more athletic. 1996 Jordan was smarter and knew how to win.

Peyton Manning’s arm is not as strong as it was when he was younger. But he’s a lot more intelligent and experienced. He’s having his best season as we speak.

Yes, Peterson is still amazing. That doesn’t mean he didn’t lose something physically.

8. amehta256 - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Miami has to work extra hard this time around

• antistratfordian - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Nah, only as hard as they did in 2011. The Bulls have never been much of a threat to them.

9. rickyspanish - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM

antistratfordian

I can’t figure you out. You’re this weird mix of troll and thoughtful that baffles me. Some things you say are crazy and other times insightful. So far I’m leaning towards 70% thoughtful, 20% bizarre and 10% troll. Keep it up, you’re interesting to say the least.

• kb2408 - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM

More like 30,30,40.

• rickyspanish - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I’m starting to agree with you.

• antistratfordian - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I commend you if you’re already at 70%. You have the ability to eventually see the wisdom in the other 30%.

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

• rickyspanish - Oct 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I left out obscene arrogance. I’m going to have to redo my math.

• gmsingh - Oct 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM

He probably shouldn’t spike his Mojitos with X.

10. earpaniac - Oct 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I do think he’s right about AP. how much of that is due to age, wear, or the knee I don’t know. He’s still the best RB in the NFL, and i dont think anyone is close, but he’s not as explosive as he was pre-knee.

• kb2408 - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM

So, AP was more explosive before the injury, but he had his best season by far after the injury? Running backs are judged by total yards and yards per carry. In 2012 he averaged 6 yds per carry and 131 yards per game. He had almost 350 more rushing yards than he had in his previous best rushing season but on less carries. The numbers don’t lie.

11. 32magicman - Oct 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Watch the highlights of this game if you think Rose has lost a step. He flew down the court on the breaks faster than I could believe.

12. thetooloftools - Oct 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM

He has no heart. Last year was the Bulls year and he let his team down. This will be the year of excuses.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches