Oct 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Rick Adelman’s return as coach of the Timberwolves was in question for quite some time, because he missed a portion of last season to care for his ill wife and it wasn’t immediately clear whether she’d become healthy enough for him to return.
Fortunately for Minnesota – and more importantly, for the Adelmans based on what we can deduce about his wife’s health – Rick is back on the sidelines this season.
Unfortunately, he missed Thursday’s practice with another family issue. Jerry Zgoda of the StarTribune:
Wolves coach Rick Adelman missed this afternoon’s training-camp practice — the third of four here in Mankato before they head for home Friday afternoon — so he could attend a family funeral.
He is expected to be back for Friday morning’s workout, after which the Wolves will head for home to prepare for Monday’s preseason opener against CSKA Moscow.
Top assistant Terry Porter and the rest of the staff (including David Adelman) carried on in his absence, conducting a 2 1/2-hour workout that was shorter in duration after the team went three hours-plus each of their first two days in Mankato.
Hopefully, this is the last team event Adelman misses this season.
As far as how this effects the team – again, a secondary concern – it should be minimal. Preseason games haven’t begun, and Porter, a former head coach, is capable of running practice for a day. Adelman could easily watch film of the session for evaluating players, and he can teach today based on what he saw on that film. There’s plenty of time to catch up before the season begins.
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 6
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 3
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10