Oct 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Rick Adelman’s return as coach of the Timberwolves was in question for quite some time, because he missed a portion of last season to care for his ill wife and it wasn’t immediately clear whether she’d become healthy enough for him to return.
Fortunately for Minnesota – and more importantly, for the Adelmans based on what we can deduce about his wife’s health – Rick is back on the sidelines this season.
Unfortunately, he missed Thursday’s practice with another family issue. Jerry Zgoda of the StarTribune:
Wolves coach Rick Adelman missed this afternoon’s training-camp practice — the third of four here in Mankato before they head for home Friday afternoon — so he could attend a family funeral.
He is expected to be back for Friday morning’s workout, after which the Wolves will head for home to prepare for Monday’s preseason opener against CSKA Moscow.
Top assistant Terry Porter and the rest of the staff (including David Adelman) carried on in his absence, conducting a 2 1/2-hour workout that was shorter in duration after the team went three hours-plus each of their first two days in Mankato.
Hopefully, this is the last team event Adelman misses this season.
As far as how this effects the team – again, a secondary concern – it should be minimal. Preseason games haven’t begun, and Porter, a former head coach, is capable of running practice for a day. Adelman could easily watch film of the session for evaluating players, and he can teach today based on what he saw on that film. There’s plenty of time to catch up before the season begins.
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 0
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 7
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17