Oct 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Rick Adelman’s return as coach of the Timberwolves was in question for quite some time, because he missed a portion of last season to care for his ill wife and it wasn’t immediately clear whether she’d become healthy enough for him to return.
Fortunately for Minnesota – and more importantly, for the Adelmans based on what we can deduce about his wife’s health – Rick is back on the sidelines this season.
Unfortunately, he missed Thursday’s practice with another family issue. Jerry Zgoda of the StarTribune:
Wolves coach Rick Adelman missed this afternoon’s training-camp practice — the third of four here in Mankato before they head for home Friday afternoon — so he could attend a family funeral.
He is expected to be back for Friday morning’s workout, after which the Wolves will head for home to prepare for Monday’s preseason opener against CSKA Moscow.
Top assistant Terry Porter and the rest of the staff (including David Adelman) carried on in his absence, conducting a 2 1/2-hour workout that was shorter in duration after the team went three hours-plus each of their first two days in Mankato.
Hopefully, this is the last team event Adelman misses this season.
As far as how this effects the team – again, a secondary concern – it should be minimal. Preseason games haven’t begun, and Porter, a former head coach, is capable of running practice for a day. Adelman could easily watch film of the session for evaluating players, and he can teach today based on what he saw on that film. There’s plenty of time to catch up before the season begins.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 0
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 6
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 14
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 23
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26