Oct 4, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Midway through this coming NBA season (Jan. 26, to be exact) Vince Carter will turn 37. That’s a grandpa in NBA years.
The guys once known for his explosiveness has found his groove as a veteran role player off the bench in Dallas. They needed a scorer, an instant-offense guy off the bench and that role worked for Carter — he averaged 13.4 points a game and shot 40 percent from three last season. You could mention him in a Sixth Man of the Year conversation and not get laughed out of the room (he wasn’t going to win it, but you could put him on the second tier for that award).
With all that, who has got time to think about retirement? Not Carter, as he told the Star-Telegram.
“I don’t want to do that to myself,” Carter said after Thursday morning’s practice. “I don’t want to limit myself. I think doing that you’ll start thinking about [retirement] as the season goes on. I’ll just let the body pretty much dictate how I’m feeling in the end.”
Carter is in the final year of his contract and is set to make $3.2 million. At that price, for the production he provides (so long as there is no significant drop off), there likely would be more than a couple teams willing to bring him in next season. Nobody is giving him a four year deal, but he still can beat guys one-on-one, create shots and his defense is better than you would expect based on his reputation.
If he wants to play next year he can, and it sounds like he wants to.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (34)