Oct 4, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The Lakers had all the talent in the world last year on paper, but as was well-chronicled just about everywhere, the season ultimately was a complete disaster that saw the team barely sneak into the playoffs before being swept in the first round.
A lack of chemistry with a certain center who shall not be named was a big part of that, but really, injuries were the main issue. Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, and Kobe Bryant all missed significant time, as did key reserves like Jordan Hill and Steve Blake.
Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni is taking every precaution to ensure his players are as healthy and rested as possible to begin the regular season, and with that in mind, he’s choosing to sit two of his stars for L.A.’s preseason opener against the Warriors on Saturday.
The Los Angeles Lakers have three future Hall of Famers on their roster in Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, but none of them will be in the lineup in the team’s exhibition opener Saturday against the Golden State Warriors.
Bryant being a scratch, of course, is no surprise. He is in Germany for a knee procedure until early next week and also continues to rehab the Achilles in his left leg.
Nash and Gasol, on the other hand, are healthy, but Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni wants to give them a day off with Saturday’s game in Ontario, Calif., to be followed Sunday in the second night of a back-to-back against the Denver Nuggets at Staples Center. …
“He’s obviously going to err on the side of being conservative,” said Nash, who missed 32 games in 2012-13 because of a variety of injuries. “It’s early in the year and obviously, the kind of year I had last year, I was continually fighting something so he just wants to be cautious.”
D’Antoni has already said he’s planning on limiting Nash’s minutes once the season begins, and may even hold him out of games where he’s perfectly healthy simply to keep him fresh as the season progresses.
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 6
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 12
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3