Oct 4, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Jason Maxiell is a hard-banging power forward – just like Horace Grant..
Maxiell signed with the Magic – just like Grant.
Maxiell is wearing No. 54 – just like Grant.
They’re basically twins, except Grant’s trademark goggles. But they could share eyewear choice soon.
Maxiell underwent surgery on Easter to correct a detached retina, and he will “most likely” wear protective goggles for his own safety throughout the season. “I don’t have to, but I would rather [wear them].” He’s still not sure when or how the original injury occurred.
Currently, Maxiell is wearing a sleeker and more stylish pair of goggles similar to the ones Bo Outlaw wore when he was with the Magic. Maxiell says the Grant goggles are “a little more durable, [and] a little more my style.”
The cynic in me says Maxiell, who admits he doesn’t need goggles, wants them just to raise his profile through Grant comparisons (though it could be precautionary due to a fear of being hit in the eye again). After all, how often has Maxiell received national attention aside from this news?
But I don’t care. This would be awesome.
Goggles are distinctive, and the NBA can always use more fun, unique things. I really hope Maxiell dons them.
The goggles don’t make the man, but they make the man a little cooler.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 8
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 14
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 33
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 21
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 16
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 21
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23