Oct 4, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Jason Maxiell is a hard-banging power forward – just like Horace Grant..
Maxiell signed with the Magic – just like Grant.
Maxiell is wearing No. 54 – just like Grant.
They’re basically twins, except Grant’s trademark goggles. But they could share eyewear choice soon.
Maxiell underwent surgery on Easter to correct a detached retina, and he will “most likely” wear protective goggles for his own safety throughout the season. “I don’t have to, but I would rather [wear them].” He’s still not sure when or how the original injury occurred.
Currently, Maxiell is wearing a sleeker and more stylish pair of goggles similar to the ones Bo Outlaw wore when he was with the Magic. Maxiell says the Grant goggles are “a little more durable, [and] a little more my style.”
The cynic in me says Maxiell, who admits he doesn’t need goggles, wants them just to raise his profile through Grant comparisons (though it could be precautionary due to a fear of being hit in the eye again). After all, how often has Maxiell received national attention aside from this news?
But I don’t care. This would be awesome.
Goggles are distinctive, and the NBA can always use more fun, unique things. I really hope Maxiell dons them.
The goggles don’t make the man, but they make the man a little cooler.
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 3
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 11
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 8
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32