Oct 4, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Jason Maxiell is a hard-banging power forward – just like Horace Grant..
Maxiell signed with the Magic – just like Grant.
Maxiell is wearing No. 54 – just like Grant.
They’re basically twins, except Grant’s trademark goggles. But they could share eyewear choice soon.
Maxiell underwent surgery on Easter to correct a detached retina, and he will “most likely” wear protective goggles for his own safety throughout the season. “I don’t have to, but I would rather [wear them].” He’s still not sure when or how the original injury occurred.
Currently, Maxiell is wearing a sleeker and more stylish pair of goggles similar to the ones Bo Outlaw wore when he was with the Magic. Maxiell says the Grant goggles are “a little more durable, [and] a little more my style.”
The cynic in me says Maxiell, who admits he doesn’t need goggles, wants them just to raise his profile through Grant comparisons (though it could be precautionary due to a fear of being hit in the eye again). After all, how often has Maxiell received national attention aside from this news?
But I don’t care. This would be awesome.
Goggles are distinctive, and the NBA can always use more fun, unique things. I really hope Maxiell dons them.
The goggles don’t make the man, but they make the man a little cooler.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6