Oct 4, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Jason Maxiell is a hard-banging power forward – just like Horace Grant..
Maxiell signed with the Magic – just like Grant.
Maxiell is wearing No. 54 – just like Grant.
They’re basically twins, except Grant’s trademark goggles. But they could share eyewear choice soon.
Maxiell underwent surgery on Easter to correct a detached retina, and he will “most likely” wear protective goggles for his own safety throughout the season. “I don’t have to, but I would rather [wear them].” He’s still not sure when or how the original injury occurred.
Currently, Maxiell is wearing a sleeker and more stylish pair of goggles similar to the ones Bo Outlaw wore when he was with the Magic. Maxiell says the Grant goggles are “a little more durable, [and] a little more my style.”
The cynic in me says Maxiell, who admits he doesn’t need goggles, wants them just to raise his profile through Grant comparisons (though it could be precautionary due to a fear of being hit in the eye again). After all, how often has Maxiell received national attention aside from this news?
But I don’t care. This would be awesome.
Goggles are distinctive, and the NBA can always use more fun, unique things. I really hope Maxiell dons them.
The goggles don’t make the man, but they make the man a little cooler.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49