Jason Maxiell wants Horace Grant goggles

Oct 4, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT

Jason Maxiell

Jason Maxiell is a hard-banging power forward – just like Horace Grant..

Maxiell signed with the Magic – just like Grant.

Maxiell is wearing No. 54 – just like Grant.

They’re basically twins, except Grant’s trademark goggles. But they could share eyewear choice soon.

Evan Dunlap of Orlando Pinstripe Post:

Maxiell underwent surgery on Easter to correct a detached retina, and he will “most likely” wear protective goggles for his own safety throughout the season. “I don’t have to, but I would rather [wear them].” He’s still not sure when or how the original injury occurred.

Currently, Maxiell is wearing a sleeker and more stylish pair of goggles similar to the ones Bo Outlaw wore when he was with the Magic. Maxiell says the Grant goggles are “a little more durable, [and] a little more my style.”

The cynic in me says Maxiell, who admits he doesn’t need goggles, wants them just to raise his profile through Grant comparisons (though it could be precautionary due to a fear of being hit in the eye again). After all, how often has Maxiell received national attention aside from this news?

But I don’t care. This would be awesome.

Goggles are distinctive, and the NBA can always use more fun, unique things. I really hope Maxiell dons them.

The goggles don’t make the man, but they make the man a little cooler.

1. bmoreravens1012013 - Oct 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I love this! Im a Horace Grant fan and this would be like reincarnation. Don’t get me wrong , I’m not delusional or anything so Jason would still have his own individuality but it would still be like a blast from the past to see a likeness ( player & person) of one if the most underrated power forwards of all time. I am now a Jason Maxiell fan.

2. rickyspanish - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

“The goggles don’t make the man, but they make the man a little cooler.”

Perfect way to wrap that article up.

3. cowboysfaninbuffalove - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Maxiell is a true pro always gives full effort, I’ve been a fan of his since back in his days as a Bearcat

• detroitbasketballfan - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM

He wasnt the mokilled player but he always gave evrything he had on the floor for us. Look forward to a lot of nice slam dunks, orlando

4. antistratfordian - Oct 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

One does not simply walk into Horace Grant goggles.

5. albertmn - Oct 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM

While the goggles would be kind of cool, I fear that if he doesn’t need them, he would just be another hipster wearing glasses to have a look instead of using them because they are needed. As someone who was forced to wear glasses for decades (before Lasik), it kind of annoys me that hipsters think glasses are a fashion statement.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches