Evan Turner thought he’d be traded from Sixers this summer

Oct 4, 2013, 11:13 PM EDT

Evan Turner AP

There’s no question that the Philadelphia 76ers are in the first year of a full-fledged rebuilding situation, with the franchise essentially starting from scratch. They have a new GM in Sam Hinkie, and didn’t even bother to hire a new head coach in Brett Brown until August — well after the draft had already taken place.

It isn’t about the upcoming season in Philadelphia; it’s about laying the foundation for a successful NBA franchise to thrive upon in the future. A big part of that obviously involves personnel, and with the Sixers opting to make the draft night deal that sent All-Star guard Jrue Holiday out of town in exchange for the injured and unproven Nerlens Noel, it’s no wonder that other more tenured players on the roster feared that their time in Philly may be running short.

From Jason Wolf of USA Today:

Evan Turner was preparing to be traded this offseason after the Philadelphia 76ers dealt his good friend, All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday, to the New Orleans Pelicans for injured teenage center Nerlens Noel and a first-round draft pick in 2014.

“I was getting ready for it,” Turner said on the eve of training camp. …

“I definitely want to keep getting better and keep shooting better, but I’m not going to dwell on 14, 7 and 5,” Turner said, rounding his statistics up. “So, I mean, I don’t know what else you want me to say. You throw somebody else in that situation and do that. … If things would have gone better we probably would have won some more games. I’ll take responsibility for that. But I’m not going to get chastised for 14, 7 and 5. Somebody hasn’t done that in a while. I’m going to keep getting better and keep developing … but I’m not going to get beat down over what occurred last year.

Turner’s actual numbers from a season ago were averages of 13.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 4.3 assists per game. According to Basketball Reference, only LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Paul Pierce exceeded those numbers last season.

It’s a selective group to be in, obviously, but let’s not get crazy — Turner’s points per game average and shooting percentage were by far the lowest, and it wasn’t really even close.

Turner could be a nice role player on a team that’s going somewhere. But it’s tough to gauge his value in relation to this current Sixers squad.

1. JMClarkent - Oct 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I’m sure teams were knocking down the 76ers door for a shooting guard whose best attribute is his rebounding.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Haha, teams were reportedly offering an unprotected third round pick.

2. rickyspanish - Oct 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

JMClarkent

That’s funny.

3. rajbais - Oct 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I thought this team was meant to be untalented for a great player.

I honestly thought that trading him to LA for Metta World Peace and then buying out World Peace would have been better.

4. antistratfordian - Oct 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

“But I’m not going to get chastised for 14, 7 and 5. Somebody hasn’t done that in a while.”

What is he even talking about? HE hasn’t done that in a while. I bothered to look up who has ( http://bkref.com/tiny/LpD9A ) and wouldn’t you know… the only player who has averaged at least 14/7/5 over the last 8 seasons is a one LeBron Raymone James, who did it 7 times.

Now, for some reason I’m almost certain that Turner thinks of his 13/6/4 as being just a tad below LeBron James level.

• detroitbasketballfan - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Dude quit bringing lebron into everything, fans like you are the reason people cant appreciate lebron for being a great player because they get annoyed by this drivel.

5. somekat - Oct 5, 2013 at 5:04 AM

He’ll get serious minutes, in the hope that he puts up good numbers, and can be moved to a borderline playoff team for a 1st….then hope said team doesn’t make the playoffs, or gets knocked out in the first round. Ditto this for Spencer Hawes and possibly Thad Young. If they move Young or Turner, look for them to do the same thing with Richardson (although the bring back will just be someone taking his contract)

6. theanswer0381 - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Its unfortunate for Evan that he was the 2nd overall pick. If he had been the 12th or so people wouldnt be so down on him but in such a weak draft we was the 2nd which at this point isnt too far off. He should have been like 4 or 5 if they could redo it. Cousins is def one that should have been drafted ahead of him. But anyway he can def be a nice 7th man to come in, get some rebounds, run some point, and give some offensive spark. He’s not that bad. His shooting needs alot of help, although his 3pt shooting was alot better last year. I want the Sixers to lose every game possible but I also would like to see Evan have a better year. Not only for his trade value but just for his confidence.

7. theanswer0381 - Oct 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Thad young is def a guy who can bring some value back. I dont want Thad Young to help them win too many games but if thats not the case I would like to see him in a Sixers uniform going forward. He is very young, and talented. Hes a very hard worker that will always take a big charge, or get a big rebound or steal. Teams would love to have him. Spencer Hawes is a good backup that can knock down big jumpers consistantly. He will bring back minimum value however bc of his lack of defense. J-Rich can be big for a contender coming off the bench with his 3pt shooting. It will be a fun year. I hate to do it but from day 1 its lose lose lose for my Sixers. #wiggins

8. phillysports77 - Oct 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Let’s Go Sixers

9. sasquash20 - Oct 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM

D.Favors should have gone ahead of Turner. And that draft isn’t all that bad. Maybe not a ton of superstars but there are at least 4 future allstars

10. officialgame - Oct 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

That’s the problem, Turner is OK with being average.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches