Kobe Bryant has left Lakers camp for Germany to get more platelet-rich plasma therapy on knee

Oct 3, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant AP

Kobe Bryant was not at Lakers training camp Thursday because he was back in Germany getting more platelet-rich plasma therapy on his right knee, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

The Lakers would only confirm Thursday at practice that he had gone overseas for a mystery medical procedure that  had nothing to do with the Achilles tendon injury he is still recovering from, something reported by Mark Medina at the Los Angeles Daily News (among many others). It was pretty obvious from the start what was going on.

The procedure Kobe has done basically takes his own blood than spins out the healing platelet in it, then those platelet are injected back into the knee. This all helps healing in the knee, according to those who believe in the procedure. There aren’t a bunch of double-blind studies on this, but Kobe believes it works so at the very least it works for him.

Kobe is expected to rejoin the team early next week.

Mike D’Antoni says he is not at all concerned about Kobe’s procedure and the impact on his rehab, although what did you expect him to say? D’Antoni is not the one with the power in the Kobe/D’Antoni relationship.

Bryant actually jogged lightly on hardwood Wednesday and stood to take some set shots. You can pretty safely rule him out of the first half of the Lakers preseason (which includes games overseas) and the Lakers have been working on the premise he would miss the entire preseason.

As for the regular season opener, nobody will say Kobe can’t be ready in 27 days, but based on where he is now I wouldn’t bet the rent money on it. Actually, I wouldn’t bet any money on it at all.

1. antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Oh is that right…

Yeah, I’m sure that’s exactly what he’s doing over there. Nothing suspicious here, people.

• cambo0019 - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

question for you @anti; why do you always make snarky comments as it pertains to Mr. Bryant? Did he say something rude to you? Decline to sign an autograph? Sleep with one of your ex’s? For some reason you often attempt to discredit him…….why?
      (or are you simply just trolling)

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Oh right, calling a curious trip a curious trip sure is snarky. Suggesting that A-Rod’s best buddy might be up to something is super unreasonable.

I’d say you need to stop worrying about what I’m doing, but that isn’t true. I want you to keep mental tabs on me… that’s why I’m here.

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM

anti, A-Rod has admitted to steroid use, and been accused of it on numerous occasions by numerous people. Kobe has never had any suspicion around him in that regard. The NBA has had plenty of time to accuse him of something since the last time he had this knee treatment in Germany. If it was illegal, wrong, against the rules, etc., they would have done something about it.

• musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

he’s just trolling…….as usual

• musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM

suggesting because they know each other, and speak from time to time, that he’s his “best buddy” isnt snarky at all is it?

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM

“Kobe has never had any suspicion around him in that regard”

Well that isn’t true. Why do you think I brought it up? Kobe’s substantial weight loss before each olympics has been seen as a red flag. Even these trips by themselves were seen as suspicious. Kobe continually praising a admitted PED user doesn’t help either.

Hey, it’s 2013. We’ve learned too much to justify continued naivete.

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM

“he’s just trolling…….as usual”

I never troll. I always come from a genuine place. I’m not just trying to get a rise out of people.

• apkyletexas - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

@cambo0019 – don’t take your man-crush on Kobe so seriously. I’m sure he loves you too – you don’t have to fight his battles with fans and trolls for him.

• musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

if the nonsense you spew comes from a “genuine place” then you are genuinely moronic….his weight loss before the olympics? your grasping at straws i’ve never even heard of…..

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I agree that him losing weight like that is weird, but people point to the idea that Lebron has HGH jaw and he’s grown an inch since he got to Miami. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. Of course a Kobe fan would defend Kobe at all costs and probably put down Lebron, but Lebron fans do the same.

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The reasons LeBron is accused is obvious. He’s muscular. Same for Dwight. But you know the most notorious abusers are microdosers who are not jacked (cyclists). I think today I would be most suspicious of “average” looking athletes who would be prone to seek that edge they can get from undetectable microdosing. Those are the guys we should be most wary of.

Is Kobe one of those guys? I don’t know, but I think it’s not only fair to ask the question – but responsible to ask the question – based on recent events in sports and based on some of his own behavior.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Plenty of athletes are doing PRP. I don’t see you accusing Chad Billingsley of anything.

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I don’t know who Chad Billingsley is. I’m sure Kobe is doing PRP. I’m not sure that this is the only thing he’s doing. None of us can be certain of that.

2. norcaldeportes - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I’m not saying Kobe is up to no good; but even if he were, the NBA would look the other way.

3. spursareold - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

H

4. spursareold - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

G

5. spursareold - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM

H!

6. detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I’ve said it before but if players like Kobe and Lebron are on HGH or any other PED then you can bet a high percentage of all NBA players are. Small circle of players and they all seem to be buddy buddy anymore.

Players in the NBA right now are the equivalent of driving without a speed limit. Some people would continue to go 70 on the interstate because they feel safer and that speeding doesn’t really make that much of a difference. Then there are those who would drive 120 for no other reason than they could. There is no HGH testing in the NBA, so the players have a “free pass to speed.”

7. musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM

just googled what you were talking about he added about 15 pounds in 2002, to the detriment of his knee, and when he began having chronic knee problems dropped the weight…..very routine for an athlete to try and combat knee problems by losing weight…..at least you’re trying

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I don’t know who you’re talking to, but Kobe lost 20 pounds before the 2008 Olympics and lost 16 pounds before the 2012 Olympics. He said he did this to take pressure off his knee – but then why wouldn’t he do that for the regular season? Why wait for the Olympics to suddenly want to take pressure off your knee? Understand that the Olympics tests for substances that the NBA does not.

• musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

untrue, kobe lost 15 pounds, in 2012…..the same 15 pounds he added in 2002…..

“In 2008, Bryant led Team USA to the gold medal in part by setting an intense tone in practices and games, particularly on the defensive end. For this year’s tournament in London, Bryant has also committed himself to being at his best. To do so, he’s changed his body by dropping 16 pounds.”–YAHOO ARTICLE

The similarities between the two continue to grow, as has the 24-year-old Bryant, who added 15 pounds of muscle in the off-season.–SI

• antistratfordian - Oct 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been saying. What’s your point?

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

my point is u said he lost 20 pounds before every olympics, which was remarkably untrue

• antistratfordian - Oct 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I didn’t say “every” olympics. Keep trying though.

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

seeing as he has only played in 2, 2008 and 2012, that would be EVERY olympics he’s played in….

• antistratfordian - Oct 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Yeah, I didn’t say he lost 20 pounds in both. Keep going.

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

its funny that your tryna win the argument on semantics…..

• antistratfordian - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I’m not “trying” to win the argument. I won it long ago. I’m just offering complimentary corrections.

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

being a smart ass, doesnt mean you’re smart

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

what you said (im paraphrasing) is that he loses a lot of weight say 15+ pounds before every olympics because he’s cheating……and outside of losing the weight in 2012 to alleviate the pressure on his knee, theres no documented evidence that he ever lost 20+ pounds in 2008…..but you keep tryin to win the argument with your semantics…..its hilarious

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

so unless you can show me an article referring to this supposed weight loss, and actually post the link to the article so i can verify (you know, the way I did) than we can stop this, but wait for it……that article doesnt exist because you made it up…..Thats the bottom line…..

• antistratfordian - Oct 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Dude. I was done with this conversation days ago. I don’t care if you’re still struggling with it – that’s no longer my problem.

• musician0785 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM

how are you done with a convo you keep replying to

• musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Dont you hate it when facts get in the way of your argument….and there are ZERO articles referring to this supposed weight loss in 2008…..probably because your making it up

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM

“Kobe–having shed 20 pounds for those Olympic games much as he shed 16 pounds for these Olympic games…” – Lakersnation.com

I’m sorry, but you will learn something soon enough: If I mention something like that – almost certainly regarding any number – I will definitely have a source.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

The NBA doesn’t test for HGH at all.

Kobe definitely has red flags. For one he went from considering retirement because of his knees to dunking like he’s in his 20’s again. Two, the treatment in Germany is illegal in the U.S. because it’s considered manipulating, or altering the relevant biological characteristics of the tissue or cells, meaning it would be a drug. Three, he didn’t just drop weight for the past Olympics but also the Olympics before that. Fourth, after the treatment he didn’t just come back, but came back better than ever. Finally, Kobe himself has said he won’t continue to play to chase #6 by being a role player, but we all know he’s going for #6 at all costs.

Good article here: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7796225/kobe-bryant-dr-chris-renna-regenokine-knee-treatment

• musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

unless you actually post a link to the article your “source” is nothing but you making it up….

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I assume that because you’re here mudslinging that you know how to use a computer and the internet. Or am I overrating your ability?

You can easily find it if you want to read it, it’s there – but I’m not your secretary.

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

your right your not my secretary, and i assume that because u cant post a link to the article, just like I did, that you do not have the ability to properly use the internet….i looked and i couldnt find it, not a big shocker to me tho….i knew u just made it up

• musician0785 - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Hilarious……you quote something and have no actual article where you pulled the quote from, you just put lakersnation.com like that means something…..

• scottheis82 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Obsess much?

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Clearly.

• lhollis74 - Oct 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Well, anti, if you actually knew any thing about basketball, you would understand that the European style requires more running and is substantially less physical, hence the need to be slimmer, quicker and able to run for longer periods of time. The NBA requires a bit more bulk at every position in order to survive a full season due to the physicality. In the NBA if you are thin or light in the a## you will get beat up and probably injured.

As far as going over seas for treatment, don’t you understand, buffoon, that some medical experiments are illegal here in the U.S. but legal abroad(cloning), which leads to learning advanced medical procedures? Couple that with the fact that in many countries education is free(what’s the last name of your doctor?), Germany being one of those, it’s easy to see why he would go there. These doctors go to school elsewhere then come to the US to work, really annoys me, but that’s another topic for another forum…

• antistratfordian - Oct 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

No, lhollis. Reduced workload, reduced role, reduced minutes. Kobe was absolutely not running “for longer periods of time” on Team USA. In fact he was praised by Boeheim for not complaining about his increased time on the pine.

So no-go on that one.

And we all know why he goes overseas for treatment. I’m like Tony Parker on this issue – with a knowing wink and a smile. I see you, Kobe. I see you.

• adamsjohn714 - Oct 4, 2013 at 2:16 AM

@lhollis,

we need those doctors to come to the united states to work. The US has a shortage of doctors because we aren’t churning them out at a rate to compensate population growth. There haven’t been any new medical schools created in a while.

• bougin89 - Oct 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I wouldn’t put it past any professional athlete to use PED’s. The only real issue I have with your comments in this thread is your complete disregard of Lebron being suspicious of PED use. I guess you’re just being “reasonable” again…

• antistratfordian - Oct 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I already brought up LeBron and Dwight. Maybe I’m focusing on Kobe being in Germany because that’s what this article is about. I don’t know, but that might be the reason.

• bougin89 - Oct 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

This article says nothing about Kobe doing PED’s in Germany, you brought that up. When questioned about Lebron your response was this:

“The reasons LeBron is accused is obvious. He’s muscular.”

Do you think Lebron is above suspicion of PED’s?

• antistratfordian - Oct 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

This is how it works – if you’re more muscular than other people in your sport you are automatically going to be under suspicion. This applies to Rafael Nadal and Tiger Woods as much as it applies to Dwight Howard or LeBron.

As far as Kobe in Germany…

“The reason Kobe, A-Rod, and other athletes travel to Germany for their biologic treatments involves a vague FDA regulation that mandates that all human tissues (such as blood and bone marrow) can only be ‘minimally manipulated,’ or else they are classified as a drug and subject to much stricter governmental regulations.”

Is the scrupulous manipulation of blood in Regenokine therapy “minimal”? Nobody has the answer to that in the United States. So depending on your take, this article could easily be about Kobe in Germany for blood doping.

8. cambo0019 - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

@apky you’re a dope ass hype man! you took what I said and got that I have a crush on Kobe out of it?

Back to basketball….. Mr. Bryant works hard and plays hard just like the people that he looked up to. His peers back up the claims of his work ethic all the time……If that’s not enough proof that he’s not using something that’s banned then I’d assume that you tend to always look for the bad in people who have achieved GREATNESS? There’s been nothing substantial that links him with PED’s so why not just accept his hard work and dedication? Instead some people just sit there and pass there own judgement based on nothing factual, which is in poor taste homie.

9. clevelandschronic2 - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Poor kobe. Guy is made of glass and still thinks hes the best. He also still thinks the lakers are a championship contender too. Wonder what arod told him to get done over seas? No way kobe would do anything bad its kobe people. We all know nothing happened in colorado with him either ; p

• musician0785 - Oct 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

poor cleveland fan…….thats it….its just sad to me that your’re a cleveland fan

10. money2long - Oct 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

so sad. trying to draw suspicion to kobe. the smearers are everywhere.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Honestly you can smear anyone in this day and age. Google Michael Jordan steroids and there was a guy on there claiming MJ learned about steroids when he went to baseball and brought them back to the NBA for his teammates to use.

Honestly if it comes out one day that Lebron, Kobe, or anyone else was using doing their playing days I won’t be even a little surprised. These guys are world class athletes and competitors and are playing right now without HGH testing. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s rampant right now, but the games popularity is increasing so the people benefiting the most (owners) are sticking their heads in the sand. Best example being baseball.

11. jimeejohnson - Oct 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Two words: Oktober Fest! Kobe’s drinking the best beer ever out of a glass boot right about now. I envy him.

12. scottheis82 - Oct 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM

@cambo,
    Don’t stress anti, just leave it to the professionals at his psych ward to keep mental tabs on his paranoid LeBron loving a$$.

• spursareold - Oct 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I don’t love LeBron because he’s a juicer, too.

13. lakerade - Oct 4, 2013 at 1:10 AM

You talk. Kobe does.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches