Oct 3, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Romeo Void taught us to “never say never.” So in this case as far as I can go is NEVE-.
Grantland is doing a team by team video preview of all 30 NBA teams as we head into the season. Fun idea as they do it with Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons, two big parts of the ABC/ESPN NBA coverage.
When talking Bobcats, Rose throws out the prediction that Michael Jordan will come back and play one game for the team this season.
I don’t want to go down this ridiculous rabbit hole, but the first thing that has to happen is either Jordan has to sell (then buy back) his majority ownership of the team because the league has a rule against owners playing. Or, as Simmons suggests, they could get a one-game waiver from the league, which is simpler logistically but not likely to happen. Not likely is being kind here.
It would be the most raw, crass PR and marketing stunt ever — there is no value on the court to the Bobcats, this would only be about selling Adidas jerseys and Nike shoes. Nothing more. Casual Gen X NBA fans might eat it up, but that doesn’t make it right. Really, you should never do anything because Gen X might like it.
Anyway, to make my point, this is not happening. No way. But good on Jalen for making an interesting talking point.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11