Oct 3, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
Romeo Void taught us to “never say never.” So in this case as far as I can go is NEVE-.
Grantland is doing a team by team video preview of all 30 NBA teams as we head into the season. Fun idea as they do it with Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons, two big parts of the ABC/ESPN NBA coverage.
When talking Bobcats, Rose throws out the prediction that Michael Jordan will come back and play one game for the team this season.
I don’t want to go down this ridiculous rabbit hole, but the first thing that has to happen is either Jordan has to sell (then buy back) his majority ownership of the team because the league has a rule against owners playing. Or, as Simmons suggests, they could get a one-game waiver from the league, which is simpler logistically but not likely to happen. Not likely is being kind here.
It would be the most raw, crass PR and marketing stunt ever — there is no value on the court to the Bobcats, this would only be about selling Adidas jerseys and Nike shoes. Nothing more. Casual Gen X NBA fans might eat it up, but that doesn’t make it right. Really, you should never do anything because Gen X might like it.
Anyway, to make my point, this is not happening. No way. But good on Jalen for making an interesting talking point.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8