Oct 3, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
Romeo Void taught us to “never say never.” So in this case as far as I can go is NEVE-.
Grantland is doing a team by team video preview of all 30 NBA teams as we head into the season. Fun idea as they do it with Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons, two big parts of the ABC/ESPN NBA coverage.
When talking Bobcats, Rose throws out the prediction that Michael Jordan will come back and play one game for the team this season.
I don’t want to go down this ridiculous rabbit hole, but the first thing that has to happen is either Jordan has to sell (then buy back) his majority ownership of the team because the league has a rule against owners playing. Or, as Simmons suggests, they could get a one-game waiver from the league, which is simpler logistically but not likely to happen. Not likely is being kind here.
It would be the most raw, crass PR and marketing stunt ever — there is no value on the court to the Bobcats, this would only be about selling Adidas jerseys and Nike shoes. Nothing more. Casual Gen X NBA fans might eat it up, but that doesn’t make it right. Really, you should never do anything because Gen X might like it.
Anyway, to make my point, this is not happening. No way. But good on Jalen for making an interesting talking point.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20