Brandon Jennings fires back at Larry Sanders: ‘I had to take those shots’

Oct 3, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT

Brandon Jennings, Joe Dumars AP

Brandon Jennings and Larry Sanders have traded comments through the media recently, with the former teammates each seeming to take a little bit of a shot at the other.

It began with relatively innocuous remarks from Jennings that seemed more like excitement to play with the likes of Josh Smith, Andre Drummond, and Greg Monroe than they were aimed at disparaging Sanders.

Sanders took exception, however, and essentially accused Jennings of never passing the ball.

Jennings, of course, defended his actions.

From Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press:

Former teammate Larry Sanders may feel that Jennings should have passed more, but Jennings thinks the only way the Bucks had a chance was for him and backcourt mate Monta Ellis to take the majority of shots.

“I had to, I had to, though,” he said. “I mean, I had to take the shots. That’s just what it is. Me and Monta had to take those shots. Regardless for us to even get into the eighth spot in the playoffs, we had to take those shots. That’s just what it is.”

“I wasn’t taking shots at Milwaukee, but let’s be honest here,” Jennings said. “I got two of the best young big men in the league. I’m not going to sugarcoat it or say it any other way. If he feels like I wasn’t passing him the ball … (laughs). There’s times that that I had 20, 18, 19 assists in a game over there, so I was passing.

“Sometimes you gotta be able to finish.”

That last part might be a good-natured shot back at Sanders, who is known for his defense more than he is for his offense. But Jennings clearly has no hard feelings about the exchange.

“Hey, they paid him $11 million per year, so he’s doing something right,” Jennings said of Sanders.

Those Pistons-Bucks games this season are going to be absolute wars … probably.

1. johngalt1783 - Oct 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Interestingly enough Jennings who is not a very good shooter is the best shooter among the Pistons starters. Drummond, Smith and Monroe none of whom can make three point shots, though Smith shoots them, had a combine FG% last season from beyond 3′ of under 35%.

I doubt we will see much change in Jennings game in Detroit other than throwing a noticeably larger number of alley-oop passes. However, he will still chuck them up from beyond the arc because frankly it will be the PIstons best chance of scoring when Monroe, Smith or Drummond are not dunking.

2. money2long - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

a future front court of john henson and larry sanders will be GREAT. that pair of bigs vs the pistons’ bigs should be good to see. plus, both point guards of each team would be facing their former team.

3. adamsjohn714 - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Larry Sanders response: You could have bothered to make some of those shots.

4. antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

“Sometimes you gotta be able to finish,” says the career 39.4% shooter.

• zoomy123 - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Hye, bringing up facts is mean!

5. cflip376 - Oct 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Dude is making excuses, there were better shooters he could of pass to, like Redick. As matter of fact the team scored more and held opponents down more when he was on the bench.

6. fm31970 - Oct 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We’ll have a heaping helping of crow ready for your return to Milwaukee, Brandon. You like it served cold, correct?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches