Oct 3, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
It began with relatively innocuous remarks from Jennings that seemed more like excitement to play with the likes of Josh Smith, Andre Drummond, and Greg Monroe than they were aimed at disparaging Sanders.
Sanders took exception, however, and essentially accused Jennings of never passing the ball.
Jennings, of course, defended his actions.
Former teammate Larry Sanders may feel that Jennings should have passed more, but Jennings thinks the only way the Bucks had a chance was for him and backcourt mate Monta Ellis to take the majority of shots.
“I had to, I had to, though,” he said. “I mean, I had to take the shots. That’s just what it is. Me and Monta had to take those shots. Regardless for us to even get into the eighth spot in the playoffs, we had to take those shots. That’s just what it is.”
“I wasn’t taking shots at Milwaukee, but let’s be honest here,” Jennings said. “I got two of the best young big men in the league. I’m not going to sugarcoat it or say it any other way. If he feels like I wasn’t passing him the ball … (laughs). There’s times that that I had 20, 18, 19 assists in a game over there, so I was passing.
“Sometimes you gotta be able to finish.”
That last part might be a good-natured shot back at Sanders, who is known for his defense more than he is for his offense. But Jennings clearly has no hard feelings about the exchange.
“Hey, they paid him $11 million per year, so he’s doing something right,” Jennings said of Sanders.
Those Pistons-Bucks games this season are going to be absolute wars … probably.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6