Oct 2, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Eric Gordon played in 42 games last season for New Orleans due to battling ankle issues, which led to another surgery in May. That was better than the 9 games the season before that. For those of you counting at home, that’s 51 games since he was traded to New Orleans as a cornerstone in the Chris Paul trade.
Now he’s going to miss the first couple weeks of the preseason — but it’s just a precaution, at least according to the team. I’m sure that makes Pelican fans feel a whole lot better.
On Tuesday, Williams told local reporters that shooting guard Eric Gordon is not expected to be able to play in an exhibition game for “about two weeks.” Gordon participated in practice but is being monitored as he progresses in his conditioning following offseason ankle surgery.
“He’s ramping up, getting his conditioning back, since he just got his release from the doctors,” Williams said. “He’s moving toward the type of conditioning he needs to be in. I don’t want him to go out there full bore and pull a hamstring or something, because he hasn’t been going (physically) as long as the other guys have.”
If this were most players, you’d shrug, but with Gordon this has to make Pelican fans a little bit nervous. This is likely just a precaution and everything will go well, but with his history of injuries it feels different.
But they are if key players can’t stay healthy.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11