Oct 2, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
The pregame chalk toss was a signature part of LeBron James’ pregame routine. He didn’t invent it, but he was the one known for it — this was his thing.
Until halfway through the 2011 playoffs his first season in Miami, when things got serious and LeBron went away from it. He stayed away from it all the way through the Heat’s two title runs (he didn’t do it regular season or playoffs).
Now it’s back.
“It’s just me,” James said after the Miami Heat’s practice Wednesday at the Atlantis Resort. “I love my fans and they wanted it back. They wanted me to do it so it’s back.”
LeBron is on the cover of the just-released NBA 2K14 doing the toss, which should have been the first sign.
This news is more Rorschach test than anything else — what you see in it says more about you and you’re feelings about LeBron than it does about LeBron. His backers will love it, his detractors will hate it. And the world will keep spinning.
But after two titles he is messing with a streak. Crash Davis would not approve.
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10