Oct 2, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
The pregame chalk toss was a signature part of LeBron James’ pregame routine. He didn’t invent it, but he was the one known for it — this was his thing.
Until halfway through the 2011 playoffs his first season in Miami, when things got serious and LeBron went away from it. He stayed away from it all the way through the Heat’s two title runs (he didn’t do it regular season or playoffs).
Now it’s back.
“It’s just me,” James said after the Miami Heat’s practice Wednesday at the Atlantis Resort. “I love my fans and they wanted it back. They wanted me to do it so it’s back.”
LeBron is on the cover of the just-released NBA 2K14 doing the toss, which should have been the first sign.
This news is more Rorschach test than anything else — what you see in it says more about you and you’re feelings about LeBron than it does about LeBron. His backers will love it, his detractors will hate it. And the world will keep spinning.
But after two titles he is messing with a streak. Crash Davis would not approve.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20