Oct 2, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The pregame chalk toss was a signature part of LeBron James’ pregame routine. He didn’t invent it, but he was the one known for it — this was his thing.
Until halfway through the 2011 playoffs his first season in Miami, when things got serious and LeBron went away from it. He stayed away from it all the way through the Heat’s two title runs (he didn’t do it regular season or playoffs).
Now it’s back.
“It’s just me,” James said after the Miami Heat’s practice Wednesday at the Atlantis Resort. “I love my fans and they wanted it back. They wanted me to do it so it’s back.”
LeBron is on the cover of the just-released NBA 2K14 doing the toss, which should have been the first sign.
This news is more Rorschach test than anything else — what you see in it says more about you and you’re feelings about LeBron than it does about LeBron. His backers will love it, his detractors will hate it. And the world will keep spinning.
But after two titles he is messing with a streak. Crash Davis would not approve.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 1
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15