Oct 2, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The pregame chalk toss was a signature part of LeBron James’ pregame routine. He didn’t invent it, but he was the one known for it — this was his thing.
Until halfway through the 2011 playoffs his first season in Miami, when things got serious and LeBron went away from it. He stayed away from it all the way through the Heat’s two title runs (he didn’t do it regular season or playoffs).
Now it’s back.
“It’s just me,” James said after the Miami Heat’s practice Wednesday at the Atlantis Resort. “I love my fans and they wanted it back. They wanted me to do it so it’s back.”
LeBron is on the cover of the just-released NBA 2K14 doing the toss, which should have been the first sign.
This news is more Rorschach test than anything else — what you see in it says more about you and you’re feelings about LeBron than it does about LeBron. His backers will love it, his detractors will hate it. And the world will keep spinning.
But after two titles he is messing with a streak. Crash Davis would not approve.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30