Oct 2, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
The pregame chalk toss was a signature part of LeBron James’ pregame routine. He didn’t invent it, but he was the one known for it — this was his thing.
Until halfway through the 2011 playoffs his first season in Miami, when things got serious and LeBron went away from it. He stayed away from it all the way through the Heat’s two title runs (he didn’t do it regular season or playoffs).
Now it’s back.
“It’s just me,” James said after the Miami Heat’s practice Wednesday at the Atlantis Resort. “I love my fans and they wanted it back. They wanted me to do it so it’s back.”
LeBron is on the cover of the just-released NBA 2K14 doing the toss, which should have been the first sign.
This news is more Rorschach test than anything else — what you see in it says more about you and you’re feelings about LeBron than it does about LeBron. His backers will love it, his detractors will hate it. And the world will keep spinning.
But after two titles he is messing with a streak. Crash Davis would not approve.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 14
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 52
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28