Oct 2, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Before he went down last season, Big Baby was having the best season of his career. Forced into a larger role with Dwight Howard on another coast, Glen Davis stepped up his game and was averaging 15.1 points and 7.2 rebounds a game — he wasn’t dominating, but he was solid. Which is a good step.
Then he broke his foot 34 games into the season.
He was out the rest of the year and has had a couple surgeries — the second to address issues not corrected in the first, which frustrates him — and Davis admitted to the Orlando Sentinel that his foot will never be the same and that could impact his career (via SLAM).
Privately, Davis is angry and upset. He felt the first surgery didn’t address the problem correctly and the setback cost him time.
“It will never be the same,” he said glumly, glancing down at his foot.
When you look at the long list of NBA players whose careers were trashed by foot injuries — Bill Walton may top that list — it’s understandable he’s worried. Davis is just 27 but this injury could be the beginning of the end for him in the NBA.
Davis is working his way back in Orlando’s training camp (they are taking it slow) and says he has dropped 20 pounds. However, after being in some kind of walking boot for the better part of eight months, he’s just not sure what’s next.
“I have to play as light as possible if it helps,” he said. He said the injury will make him play differently, but he isn’t exactly sure how.
Like Jameer Nelson, Davis could well be traded this season — he could end up back on a contender, remember he played a big role off the bench for the Celtics a few years back.
But after last year teams are going to want to see him play on the court first. We’ll see how that goes.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)