Because apparently you can’t get enough, a Dwight Howard documentary is coming

Oct 2, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Haven’t had your fill of Dwight Howard drama yet?

I’m kidding. I know we all have. We’re all weary of him and his off-the-court spectacle, weary of the discussion of how he got to Houston (or left Los Angeles, if you prefer). We’re sick of the endless image battle — we just want to see him play basketball and not talk about the rest of it.

But there is more behind-the-scenes Dwight Howard drama coming.

He is getting his own documentary, reports Sara Eckert at CSNHouston.com.

Dwight Howard has teamed with EPIX to offer an exclusive look into his life and path to becoming a megastar. A big part of the original documentary, EPIX Presents Dwight Howard: In the Moment, includes footage of Howard during his recruitment and decision to come to Houston, so that should be of particular interest to Rockets fans. It will also retrace his youth and career path and will help answer the question, ‘who is the real Dwight Howard?’

“The 2013/14 season is a pivotal year in my professional career,” Howard said. “I am excited about being a Houston Rocket and grateful for the opportunity to be seen in an in-depth manner. I am happy to be working with the EPIX team, including award-winning documentarian, Ross Greenburg.”

I think we can all agree that Howard is right about something — this is a pivotal year in his career.

For the past couple seasons he has worked to get out of situations he didn’t like in a rather awkward fashion, which when combined with a legitimate injury that knocked his game back a couple of steps made Howard easy to dislike.

It’s really simple now for Howard — he has to win in Houston. He made the right basketball move, but he has been a guy that shrunk in the face of adversity. Well, there is going to be adversity in making this all work in Houston and he has to fight through it. There is no way out now, this is it.

I’ll make this as plain as I can: The best way to solve image issues is just to win. Go ask Kobe Bryant or LeBron James about it. Howard is never going to be universally loved but he can flip his image with a lot of people by simply playing up to his potential and winning games. And eventually winning a lot of playoff games.

The documentary could be interesting if we get to see Howard struggle with the coming adversity. But if this is all just him playing video games and acting like he doesn’t have a care in the world, then I’ve got better things to do with my time.

1. datcrazybok - Oct 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Path to becoming a megastar? I’m going to guess this is the prequel? Because at this point Dwight Howard is not a megastar.

2. ji8888 - Oct 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oh look, it’s Dwight stroking his ego.

3. losanginsight - Oct 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I wonder if there will be an in depth look into all the baby’s mammas. As a Laker fan this is funny and is what’s expected from this drama queen. A Houston might like see a video of practicing free throws.

4. beagle11 - Oct 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Simple Jack?

• pfic15 - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM

This comment made mah eyes rain…

5. wsuperman4445 - Oct 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM

so Star was not good enough? All star did not cut it? but when Greenberg stroked my ego and said “you are a MEGASTAR!” I then decided to do the movie starring me” -Dwight Howard talking about how he decided to to the video, Oops sorry! world Premier,Summer blockbuster, Emmy award winning, Oscar nominated epic Feature, Future Classic, Motion Picture ….

6. antistratfordian - Oct 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Ross Greenburg is a pretty good producer though – was the president of HBO Sports for about the last decade and he oversaw the creation of HBO’s 24/7 series, which became very popular. He’s won something like 40 Sports Emmys.

He just produced that Mayweather documentary – which is in the style of his 24/7 series – and I suspect that this Howard documentary will be similar to that. It will probably be an interesting watch regardless.

7. zickhead - Oct 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Ughh he’s been so annoying the past couple years. How about win a title first before doing any more talking.

8. detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Lebron is by far my favorite individual athlete. While I obviously had no problem with “The Decision” it did force him to mature as a person. Unfortunately for Dwight he’d rather be known as “funny” over everything else, and he probably will never mature to the point he should be. Dwight could be the single most dominating force in the NBA today because of the lack of centers in general, but also the last of big men with his athleticism. For a while there it looked like Lebron would be the ultimate “what if” person, but now it’s looking more and more like that will be Dwight.

9. davincizsp - Oct 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I think he is trying to duplicate the path of Shaq which is both funny and dominant. But honestly he doesn’t do it right.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Oct 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Not sure how I didn’t think of that.

Shaq is naturally funny. You can see Dwight trying to force it. Plus when it comes to on the court Dwight would get owned by Shaq (maybe even today).

• jason9696 - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Shaq funny?

• antistratfordian - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I thought it was the path of John Salley.

10. pfic15 - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Dwight Howard. So fake.

11. lhollis74 - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Well, if they don’t adress his multiple baby mama’s I’m going to be terribly disappointed.

12. misterdreamer119 - Oct 3, 2013 at 5:55 AM

paint ya face clown.
    Its funny how this guy thinks that hes funny.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches