Oct 1, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
Doc Rivers tried to limit Kevin Garnett’s minutes a little in Boston last season, having him sit out some games, but Garnett still averaged almost 30 minutes a night when he did play. (Rivers’ hands were tied, when KG came off the court the Boston defense turned to mush.)
New Nets coach Jason Kidd want’s to keep Garnett’s minutes under control as well, keep the 37-year-old fresh for the playoffs. He’s got a little depth up front to give him some options, such as not playing KG on half of a back-to-back.
So Kidd went to tell Garnett the plan and… that didn’t go to well. Those are not my words, they’re Garnett’s, as he told the USA Today.
“It didn’t go too well,” Garnett said. “I understand what he’s saying. He just wants to make sure I’m durable. … I just don’t want to be told anything. I think I’ve earned the right to have an opinion on something that I’m doing. From a chemistry standpoint, I think it’s important for me to be out there with everybody.”
To paraphrase Sgt. Hulka — lighten up, Kevin.
Yes you need to form a bond with your team, and you have the right as a veteran to have your voice heard (I have a feeling that is the big issue here, he wants to be consulted). That said, Kidd is right. If you came to win a ring — as you keep saying — you need to be fresh come the playoffs. It’s a long season, you’ll get your bonding.
But you need your rest, too. Brooklyn is potentially very good but there are a lot of questions and not a lot of margin for error in a conference with the Heat, Pacers and Bulls (plus those Knicks just over the bridge). The Nets need to be right come the playoffs to have a chance.
That means a rested KG. So listen to your coach.
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 3
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 20
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7