Oct 1, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
We have some rare good injury news out of a training camp:
The Cleveland Cavalier’s No. 1 pick Anthony Bennett and the guy he may someday replace in the lineup, Anderson Varejao, both have been fully cleared for basketball activities entering training camp. This was expected, but now it is official.
Bennett had shoulder surgery last May, which caused him to miss a number of pre-draft workouts as well as Summer League, but he was always expected to be cleared for camp.
Varejao missed most of last season with blood clots in his legs, a potentially very serious condition.
Bennett likely will come off the bench behind Tristan Thompson at the four.
With these two healthy (and Tyler Zeller in the mix as well) Cleveland should have enough firepower in the lineup to grab one of those final playoff spots in the East.
That is, if they can stay healthy.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18