Sep 30, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
They can ignore the questions, but this storyline will not go away.
Pretty much every time Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James step in front of television cameras and reporters this season they are going to be asked about free agency this summer. Both can and likely will opt out of their deals and become free agents, and both will get asked questions about their plans hundreds of different ways over the course of the season.
On media day both had to step up to the podium for press conferences, and both LeBron and Carmelo dodged the questions.
Both LeBron and Carmelo have used the “we’re not going to talk about it” system in the past to limited success, but it seems to be the go-to play.
The fact is they are two of the biggest names in the game and there are a lot of fan bases that want their teams to go hard at these guys next summer. Smart money is on both of them staying put, but there are only a handful of genuine franchise players out there and if you think you have a shot at one you have to make a run at them.
And that makes for a story that does not go away.
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 0
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 4
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 11
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 3
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3