Sep 30, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
They can ignore the questions, but this storyline will not go away.
Pretty much every time Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James step in front of television cameras and reporters this season they are going to be asked about free agency this summer. Both can and likely will opt out of their deals and become free agents, and both will get asked questions about their plans hundreds of different ways over the course of the season.
On media day both had to step up to the podium for press conferences, and both LeBron and Carmelo dodged the questions.
Both LeBron and Carmelo have used the “we’re not going to talk about it” system in the past to limited success, but it seems to be the go-to play.
The fact is they are two of the biggest names in the game and there are a lot of fan bases that want their teams to go hard at these guys next summer. Smart money is on both of them staying put, but there are only a handful of genuine franchise players out there and if you think you have a shot at one you have to make a run at them.
And that makes for a story that does not go away.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 9
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36