Sep 30, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
When last we heard from Channing Frye he said he had been cleared by doctors to return to basketball after missing all of last season due to an enlarged heart (it was caused by a virus but could be cured by rest).
With the Suns about to open training camp Frye took to twitter this weekend to again say he would be playing for the Suns this season.
First he tweeted this: “Who has two thumbs and is gonna play this year…THIS Guy,”
Then he took that down and replaced it with this.
let me rephrase that. I'll be back next year playing for the Phx suns. I'm happy to be healthy and have a opportunity to keeping playing!—
Channing Frye (@Channing_Frye) September 29, 2013
He went on to say in media interviews he is ready to play at the start of camp.
A healthy Frye has real value as a stretch four in the right system — he is a career 39 percent from three. He’s not a traditional big (if you expect him to bang in the post and get you a lot of boards you will be disappointed) but in the right system he can create a lot of space for others to operate because you have to respect him at the arc. Back in the 2011-12 season the Suns offense was 11.1 points per 100 possessions better when he played.
Frye also makes a very reasonable $6.4 million this season with a player option for $6.8 million next season — for a Suns team looking to be bad and stockpile picks/young assets, moving Frye may be the call.
Once he gets back on the court and shows he can still play.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 23
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 38
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 29
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12