Channing Frye on his return to Suns: ‘I never felt like I was done’

Sep 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EST

Channing Frye

PHOENIX – The big news out of Suns media day on Monday was the team making official what Channing Frye had announced personally the night before: that he has been cleared to play by a multitude of physicians, and will be back on the active roster beginning immediately.

“There’s a lot of weird feelings going on right now,” Frye said. “It’s been a long year. It’s been one of the hardest years I’ve had to go through, because I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t rehab it, I couldn’t go out on the court and work on it. It was something [where] I just had to sit, and wait, and heal.”

Frye missed all of last season with what was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. He was unable to exercise at all while recovering, and just recently started to work his way back into shape. As for basketball activity, there has been very little by Frye’s own admission — dribbling and shooting here and there, but certainly no full-court runs.

But before basketball comes health, and during Frye’s year-long absence, he was forced to deal with something that could have been even more severe had it continued to go unnoticed.

“It was very serious,” he said. “Every doctor I went to was like, ‘thank God we caught it when we did.’ There could have been some serious repercussions.”

Frye gave us a grossly oversimplified medical explanation of what his issue was.

“My heart had a cold for a year, it went away,” he said. “So now I’m better.”

Frye is expected to be a full participant in training camp, with no restrictions. He was emphatic when asked if he needed to be on any medication.

“None. No way. I’m all healthy,” was Frye’s response.

He’ll undergo testing every six months, which he seemed to be much more open to than being consistently medicated. Now that he’s been completely cleared for activity, Frye was adamant that he won’t be tentative once he returns to the court for workouts.

“No, we’ve got too good of a [training staff] for that,” he said. “They’re not going to let me go out on the court if I’m scared, and it’s just not my attitude. I’m a zero or a hundred type of guy. When I go out there I’ll go as hard as I can in a safe environment, and if the trainers or the coaches see anything, [they’ll tell me] to take a step back.”

Frye consulted with fellow NBA players Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and Ronny Turiaf for advice, considering they all went through a heart condition which took them away from the game for a period of time. They told Frye to listen to what the doctors tell you, get multiple opinions, and ultimately do what’s best for you and your family.

Frye didn’t have to return to the NBA, obviously. Not only has he amassed more than $28 million in career earnings with two more guaranteed contract years ahead of him, but he reminded us that with his education, he could easily go do something else.

“I could be a teacher if I want to,” Frye said. “I’ve got my degree now.”

But he doesn’t have to pursue other options just yet. When asked about his choice to come back, Frye pointed to the motivation of overcoming his illness, along with a feeling inside that told him he still had something left to give to the game he loves.

“I just felt like I was never done,” Frye said. “Even when things didn’t look good, I just felt like I wasn’t done yet. And I was determined to approach this like I approach everything else.

“I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest or the fastest. I just want to play ball, you know? It’s what I’m supposed to do, and I never felt like I was done.”

Latest Posts
  1. J.J. Redick, Andre Drummond latest to receive flopping warnings (VIDEO)

Jan 25, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

J.J. Redick AP

Both players successfully tricked the referees into calling a foul.

2. Paul Pierce hits 2,000th three pointer of career (VIDEO)

Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

Washington Wizards v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

He’s just 23 behind Jason Terry for third most on the All-Time list.

3. LaMarcus Aldridge looks good with 26 points, 9 rebounds playing with bad thumb

Jan 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

LaMarcus Aldridge, Nene AP

He hd 26 points and 9 boards. That brace worked out pretty well.

4. Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles

Jan 25, 2015, 1:01 AM EST

Brandon Jennings Brandon Jennings

Can we just get through the rest of this season without any more major NBA injuries, please?

5. Report: Celtics may keep Tayshaun Prince if he’s not traded by the deadline

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Brad Stevens reportedly likes Prince, so a buyout may not be in the cards.

6. Derek Fisher didn’t realize motivating his players would be such a big part of being an NBA head coach

Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Derek Fisher AP

Fisher played 18 years, and claims that his motivation always came from within.

7. After being fined for obscene gesture, Dwyane Wade asks NBA to improve on ways it protects players from fans

Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade was fined for flipping off some fans who he believed crossed the line.

8. Dwight Howard leaves arena in walking boot after suffering ankle injury against Suns

Jan 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Dwight Howard AP

Howard left the game after just eight minutes and did not return.

9. LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards

Jan 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EST

Sacramento Kings v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Aldridge has a tear in his left thumb, and was originally set to be sidelined 6-8 weeks.

10. Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction

Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Before recent trades, players believed the team would go no further than the second round of the playoffs.

11. James Harden hits step-back game winner to beat Suns (VIDEO)

Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

James Harden, Isaiah Thomas AP

That is as good a step-back jumper as you will see.

12. Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge

Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

There are $25 million Kobe will be back next season.

13. If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again

Jan 24, 2015, 12:16 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Lakers star could also above and beyond and chase Michael Jordan’s comeback

14. Kevin Durant: ‘I don’t need the All-Star vote to validate me as a player’

Jan 23, 2015, 10:15 PM EST

Kevin Durant AP

It’s a good thing, because he received fewer votes than Marcin Gortat.

Stephen Curry leads NBA MVP race mid-season