Channing Frye on his return to Suns: ‘I never felt like I was done’

Sep 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Channing Frye

PHOENIX – The big news out of Suns media day on Monday was the team making official what Channing Frye had announced personally the night before: that he has been cleared to play by a multitude of physicians, and will be back on the active roster beginning immediately.

“There’s a lot of weird feelings going on right now,” Frye said. “It’s been a long year. It’s been one of the hardest years I’ve had to go through, because I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t rehab it, I couldn’t go out on the court and work on it. It was something [where] I just had to sit, and wait, and heal.”

Frye missed all of last season with what was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. He was unable to exercise at all while recovering, and just recently started to work his way back into shape. As for basketball activity, there has been very little by Frye’s own admission — dribbling and shooting here and there, but certainly no full-court runs.

But before basketball comes health, and during Frye’s year-long absence, he was forced to deal with something that could have been even more severe had it continued to go unnoticed.

“It was very serious,” he said. “Every doctor I went to was like, ‘thank God we caught it when we did.’ There could have been some serious repercussions.”

Frye gave us a grossly oversimplified medical explanation of what his issue was.

“My heart had a cold for a year, it went away,” he said. “So now I’m better.”

Frye is expected to be a full participant in training camp, with no restrictions. He was emphatic when asked if he needed to be on any medication.

“None. No way. I’m all healthy,” was Frye’s response.

He’ll undergo testing every six months, which he seemed to be much more open to than being consistently medicated. Now that he’s been completely cleared for activity, Frye was adamant that he won’t be tentative once he returns to the court for workouts.

“No, we’ve got too good of a [training staff] for that,” he said. “They’re not going to let me go out on the court if I’m scared, and it’s just not my attitude. I’m a zero or a hundred type of guy. When I go out there I’ll go as hard as I can in a safe environment, and if the trainers or the coaches see anything, [they'll tell me] to take a step back.”

Frye consulted with fellow NBA players Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and Ronny Turiaf for advice, considering they all went through a heart condition which took them away from the game for a period of time. They told Frye to listen to what the doctors tell you, get multiple opinions, and ultimately do what’s best for you and your family.

Frye didn’t have to return to the NBA, obviously. Not only has he amassed more than $28 million in career earnings with two more guaranteed contract years ahead of him, but he reminded us that with his education, he could easily go do something else.

“I could be a teacher if I want to,” Frye said. “I’ve got my degree now.”

But he doesn’t have to pursue other options just yet. When asked about his choice to come back, Frye pointed to the motivation of overcoming his illness, along with a feeling inside that told him he still had something left to give to the game he loves.

“I just felt like I was never done,” Frye said. “Even when things didn’t look good, I just felt like I wasn’t done yet. And I was determined to approach this like I approach everything else.

“I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest or the fastest. I just want to play ball, you know? It’s what I’m supposed to do, and I never felt like I was done.”

Latest Posts
  1. Hornets’ Jeff Taylor says he’s recovered from ruptured Achilles

Sep 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Charlotte Bobcats Dallas Mavericks v Charlotte Bobcats

He’s going to fight for minutes at a crowded wing spot in Charlotte.

2. Andrew Wiggins says he doesn’t feel much pressure heading to Minnesota

Sep 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Timberwolves New Players Getty Images

Nobody expects much from the Timberwolves or Wiggins this season, outside of a few highlight dunks.

3. Report: Zoran Dragic “in advanced discussions” to leave Europe for Suns next season

Sep 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

BASKET-EURO-2013-SRB-SVN Getty Images

A team is going to have to pay him at least $2 million a year to make it worth his while.

4. Jeanie Buss ‘not worried’ about Kobe coming back and contributing for Lakers

Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Lakers president believes Bryant is ready after he missed all but six games last season due to injury.

5. Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio

Sep 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Ricky Rubio AP

Rubio may not like it, but Minnesota can retain his rights in restricted free agency next summer.

6. Report: Gustavo Ayon’s deal with Real Madrid worth $6.6 million over three years

Sep 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Australia v Mexico - 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Getty Images

Big man from Mexico preferred to remain in the NBA, but took the payday to return overseas.

7. Kobe Bryant may join ownership group attempting to purchase Italian soccer team

Sep 20, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant Kobe Bryant

With two years left in the NBA, Bryant has an eye on life after basketball.

8. Taj Gibson says he’s fine coming off the bench for Bulls: ‘Please miss me with the drama’

Sep 20, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Taj Gibson Taj Gibson

A previous report said Gibson was less than thrilled with remaining a reserve.

9. Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season

Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Blatche can play, but the NBA offers simply weren’t there.

10. Giant LeBron James banner approved to hang in downtown Cleveland once again

Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

lebron-banner

10-story-high banner will return after a similar one was taken down when James left in 2010.

11. Report: Ramon Sessions signs 2-year deal with Kings

Sep 20, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Ramon Sessions AP

Sessions could start at point guard for Sacramento.

12. Report: Former NBA player Rex Chapman arrested for stealing product from Apple store

Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd Rex Chapman, Ashley Judd

Chapman played four years for the Suns, and is facing charges in Scottsdale, AZ.

13. Andrew Bogut is feeling healthy, takes charges on D at Warriors scrimmage

Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Andrew Bogut AP

Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches