Channing Frye on his return to Suns: ‘I never felt like I was done’

Sep 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Channing Frye

PHOENIX — The big news out of Suns media day on Monday was the team making official what Channing Frye had announced personally the night before: that he has been cleared to play by a multitude of physicians, and will be back on the active roster beginning immediately.

“There’s a lot of weird feelings going on right now,” Frye said. “It’s been a long year. It’s been one of the hardest years I’ve had to go through, because I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t rehab it, I couldn’t go out on the court and work on it. It was something [where] I just had to sit, and wait, and heal.”

Frye missed all of last season with what was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. He was unable to exercise at all while recovering, and just recently started to work his way back into shape. As for basketball activity, there has been very little by Frye’s own admission — dribbling and shooting here and there, but certainly no full-court runs.

But before basketball comes health, and during Frye’s year-long absence, he was forced to deal with something that could have been even more severe had it continued to go unnoticed.

“It was very serious,” he said. “Every doctor I went to was like, ‘thank God we caught it when we did.’ There could have been some serious repercussions.”

Frye gave us a grossly oversimplified medical explanation of what his issue was.

“My heart had a cold for a year, it went away,” he said. “So now I’m better.”

Frye is expected to be a full participant in training camp, with no restrictions. He was emphatic when asked if he needed to be on any medication.

“None. No way. I’m all healthy,” was Frye’s response.

He’ll undergo testing every six months, which he seemed to be much more open to than being consistently medicated. Now that he’s been completely cleared for activity, Frye was adamant that he won’t be tentative once he returns to the court for workouts.

“No, we’ve got too good of a [training staff] for that,” he said. “They’re not going to let me go out on the court if I’m scared, and it’s just not my attitude. I’m a zero or a hundred type of guy. When I go out there I’ll go as hard as I can in a safe environment, and if the trainers or the coaches see anything, [they’ll tell me] to take a step back.”

Frye consulted with fellow NBA players Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and Ronny Turiaf for advice, considering they all went through a heart condition which took them away from the game for a period of time. They told Frye to listen to what the doctors tell you, get multiple opinions, and ultimately do what’s best for you and your family.

Frye didn’t have to return to the NBA, obviously. Not only has he amassed more than $28 million in career earnings with two more guaranteed contract years ahead of him, but he reminded us that with his education, he could easily go do something else.

“I could be a teacher if I want to,” Frye said. “I’ve got my degree now.”

But he doesn’t have to pursue other options just yet. When asked about his choice to come back, Frye pointed to the motivation of overcoming his illness, along with a feeling inside that told him he still had something left to give to the game he loves.

“I just felt like I was never done,” Frye said. “Even when things didn’t look good, I just felt like I wasn’t done yet. And I was determined to approach this like I approach everything else.

“I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest or the fastest. I just want to play ball, you know? It’s what I’m supposed to do, and I never felt like I was done.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Warriors will keep Gerald Wallace

Jul 8, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Golden State has time to change its mind on forward acquired for David Lee

2. Report: Heat willing to give away Mario Chalmers and Chris Andersen

Jul 7, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT

Mario Chalmers, Chris Andersen AP

Miami also reportedly talking Shabazz Napier trade

3. Report: Manu Ginobili getting two-year, $5.7 million contract from Spurs

Jul 7, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Sounds as if San Antonio will use room exception on Ginobili, which helps the cause for re-signing Tim Duncan

4. Warriors could save $48 million with David Lee-Gerald Wallace trade

Jul 7, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Even without stretching Wallace, that projects to be about $24 million in savings

5. Report: Charlie Villanueva gets another minimum contract with Mavericks

Jul 7, 2015, 7:42 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Villanueva will back up Dirk Nowitzki as floor-spreading power forward

6. Report: Clippers signing Wesley Johnson to minimum contract

Jul 7, 2015, 6:46 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

Clippers having a nice offseason – minus that one move that defines their offseason

7. Report: Alan Anderson signs one-year, $4 million deal with Washington Wizards

Jul 7, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Atlanta Hawks - Game Five Getty Images

The one-year deal keeps their cap space alive next summer to chase Kevin Durant.

8. Jason Smith reaches one-year deal with Orlando Magic

Jul 7, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

New York Knicks V Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

The Knicks and Magic essentially swap reserve centers.

9. J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan

Jul 7, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets - Game Five Getty Images

“Listen, we had one priority this summer, and that was to re-sign DJ, and we missed out on that.” — J.J. Redick on the Clippers summer.

10. PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers

Jul 7, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

LaMarcus Aldridge LaMarcus Aldridge

The Lakers were not free agency losers like some think.

11. Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace

Jul 7, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT

davidlee Getty Images

Look for the Warriors to waive Wallace using the stretch provision.

12. Lakers anticipate signing D’Angelo Russell in time for Summer League debut vs. Timberwolves

Jul 7, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Draftees Shoot Los Angeles Lakers Draftees Shoot

Julius Randle, L.A.’s first round pick last year, missed the Summer League opener due to a contract issue.

13. Lou Williams ‘disappointed’ Raptors didn’t want him back

Jul 7, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The reigning Sixth Man of the Year signed a free agent deal with the Lakers.

14. Dwyane Wade cites his scoring average when asked how long he’ll continue to play: ‘I think I’ll stay around a while’

Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT

wade Getty Images

Wade was the third leading scorer in the East last season, but missed 20 games due to a combination rest and injury.

15. Mark Cuban fined $25K for commenting on free agents DeAndre Jordan, Wes Matthews

Jul 7, 2015, 11:31 AM EDT

Squawk Box - Season 20 Getty Images

Teams aren’t allowed to discuss deals during the moratorium period, which is still going on.

16. Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves

Jul 7, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Kevin Garnett AP

KG will be back for a record 21st NBA season.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches