Channing Frye on his return to Suns: ‘I never felt like I was done’

Sep 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Channing Frye

PHOENIX – The big news out of Suns media day on Monday was the team making official what Channing Frye had announced personally the night before: that he has been cleared to play by a multitude of physicians, and will be back on the active roster beginning immediately.

“There’s a lot of weird feelings going on right now,” Frye said. “It’s been a long year. It’s been one of the hardest years I’ve had to go through, because I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t rehab it, I couldn’t go out on the court and work on it. It was something [where] I just had to sit, and wait, and heal.”

Frye missed all of last season with what was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. He was unable to exercise at all while recovering, and just recently started to work his way back into shape. As for basketball activity, there has been very little by Frye’s own admission — dribbling and shooting here and there, but certainly no full-court runs.

But before basketball comes health, and during Frye’s year-long absence, he was forced to deal with something that could have been even more severe had it continued to go unnoticed.

“It was very serious,” he said. “Every doctor I went to was like, ‘thank God we caught it when we did.’ There could have been some serious repercussions.”

Frye gave us a grossly oversimplified medical explanation of what his issue was.

“My heart had a cold for a year, it went away,” he said. “So now I’m better.”

Frye is expected to be a full participant in training camp, with no restrictions. He was emphatic when asked if he needed to be on any medication.

“None. No way. I’m all healthy,” was Frye’s response.

He’ll undergo testing every six months, which he seemed to be much more open to than being consistently medicated. Now that he’s been completely cleared for activity, Frye was adamant that he won’t be tentative once he returns to the court for workouts.

“No, we’ve got too good of a [training staff] for that,” he said. “They’re not going to let me go out on the court if I’m scared, and it’s just not my attitude. I’m a zero or a hundred type of guy. When I go out there I’ll go as hard as I can in a safe environment, and if the trainers or the coaches see anything, [they'll tell me] to take a step back.”

Frye consulted with fellow NBA players Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and Ronny Turiaf for advice, considering they all went through a heart condition which took them away from the game for a period of time. They told Frye to listen to what the doctors tell you, get multiple opinions, and ultimately do what’s best for you and your family.

Frye didn’t have to return to the NBA, obviously. Not only has he amassed more than $28 million in career earnings with two more guaranteed contract years ahead of him, but he reminded us that with his education, he could easily go do something else.

“I could be a teacher if I want to,” Frye said. “I’ve got my degree now.”

But he doesn’t have to pursue other options just yet. When asked about his choice to come back, Frye pointed to the motivation of overcoming his illness, along with a feeling inside that told him he still had something left to give to the game he loves.

“I just felt like I was never done,” Frye said. “Even when things didn’t look good, I just felt like I wasn’t done yet. And I was determined to approach this like I approach everything else.

“I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest or the fastest. I just want to play ball, you know? It’s what I’m supposed to do, and I never felt like I was done.”

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS No. 24: Chris Paul, NBA’s most underrated point guard

Oct 21, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers Denver Nuggets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers point guard on his own level in post-Magic Johnson NBA

2. Rajon Rondo says the Celtics will “surprise a lot of people”

Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

Rajon Rondo Rajon Rondo

Rondo praises head coach Brad Stevens’ success on the college level.

3. Donald Sterling drops suit against NBA, Shelly Sterling

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Donald Sterling Donald Sterling

He still has an antitrust suit pending against the NBA.

4. Derrick Rose blows past Dion Waiters for the finish, and one (VIDEO)

Oct 20, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

It’s only preseason, but the 2011 league MVP looks like his old self.

5. Report: Board of Governors expected to pass draft lottery reform, Sixers and Thunder opposed

Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

2013 NBA Draft Lottery 2013 NBA Draft Lottery

The proposed changes would give the four worst teams the same odds of winning the No. 1 pick in the draft.

6. Pacers’ Paul George on court taking shots after practice (VIDEO)

Oct 20, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014 Indiana Pacers Media Day 2014

He’s moving well considered what happened to his leg just back in July.

7. Hawks CEO induces certain gesture from T.I., redeems himself with a “for shizzle” (video)

Oct 20, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Steve Koonin promoting Hawks’ season opener, which includes T.I. performances

8. Lance Stephenson already flopping like it’s a playoff game (VINE)

Oct 20, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

When Stephenson brought his game to Charlotte this season, he clearly brought the flopping with him.

9. Pistons waive Hasheem Thabeet

Oct 20, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons Media Day Detroit Pistons Media Day

Detroit also cuts Brian Cook, Josh Bostic and Lorenzo Brown

10. Lakers waive Jeremy Tyler, who’s China-bound

Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Media Day Los Angeles Lakers Media Day

Door even more open for Ronnie Price and Wayne Ellington to make roster

11. LeBron James reveals (?) his recruiting pitch

Oct 20, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day Getty Images

How did LeBron get Kevin Love, Shawn Marion, Mike Miller and James Jones to join the Cavaliers?

12. Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP

Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers, Game 1 Getty Images

Smart money should go on LeBron James, but there will be serious challengers.

13. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs

Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

If they can stay a step ahead of father time the Spurs are the bar to clear to win an NBA title.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches