Channing Frye on his return to Suns: ‘I never felt like I was done’

Sep 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Channing Frye

PHOENIX – The big news out of Suns media day on Monday was the team making official what Channing Frye had announced personally the night before: that he has been cleared to play by a multitude of physicians, and will be back on the active roster beginning immediately.

“There’s a lot of weird feelings going on right now,” Frye said. “It’s been a long year. It’s been one of the hardest years I’ve had to go through, because I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t rehab it, I couldn’t go out on the court and work on it. It was something [where] I just had to sit, and wait, and heal.”

Frye missed all of last season with what was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. He was unable to exercise at all while recovering, and just recently started to work his way back into shape. As for basketball activity, there has been very little by Frye’s own admission — dribbling and shooting here and there, but certainly no full-court runs.

But before basketball comes health, and during Frye’s year-long absence, he was forced to deal with something that could have been even more severe had it continued to go unnoticed.

“It was very serious,” he said. “Every doctor I went to was like, ‘thank God we caught it when we did.’ There could have been some serious repercussions.”

Frye gave us a grossly oversimplified medical explanation of what his issue was.

“My heart had a cold for a year, it went away,” he said. “So now I’m better.”

Frye is expected to be a full participant in training camp, with no restrictions. He was emphatic when asked if he needed to be on any medication.

“None. No way. I’m all healthy,” was Frye’s response.

He’ll undergo testing every six months, which he seemed to be much more open to than being consistently medicated. Now that he’s been completely cleared for activity, Frye was adamant that he won’t be tentative once he returns to the court for workouts.

“No, we’ve got too good of a [training staff] for that,” he said. “They’re not going to let me go out on the court if I’m scared, and it’s just not my attitude. I’m a zero or a hundred type of guy. When I go out there I’ll go as hard as I can in a safe environment, and if the trainers or the coaches see anything, [they'll tell me] to take a step back.”

Frye consulted with fellow NBA players Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and Ronny Turiaf for advice, considering they all went through a heart condition which took them away from the game for a period of time. They told Frye to listen to what the doctors tell you, get multiple opinions, and ultimately do what’s best for you and your family.

Frye didn’t have to return to the NBA, obviously. Not only has he amassed more than $28 million in career earnings with two more guaranteed contract years ahead of him, but he reminded us that with his education, he could easily go do something else.

“I could be a teacher if I want to,” Frye said. “I’ve got my degree now.”

But he doesn’t have to pursue other options just yet. When asked about his choice to come back, Frye pointed to the motivation of overcoming his illness, along with a feeling inside that told him he still had something left to give to the game he loves.

“I just felt like I was never done,” Frye said. “Even when things didn’t look good, I just felt like I wasn’t done yet. And I was determined to approach this like I approach everything else.

“I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest or the fastest. I just want to play ball, you know? It’s what I’m supposed to do, and I never felt like I was done.”

Latest Posts
  1. Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would

Apr 17, 2014, 2:10 AM EDT

Kevin Durant Kevin Durant

On the season Kevin Durant averaged 32 points, seven rebounds and five assists a game. Not too shabby.

2. Kevin Durant’s game-winning dunk clinches two seed for Thunder (VIDEO)

Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Kevin Durant was simply unstoppable with the game on the line against the Pistons.

3. Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set

Apr 16, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Miami Heat Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

The West is loaded with great series: Thunder vs. Grizzlies, Clippers vs. Warriors, Rockets vs. Blazers.

4. Wagers on season win totals still undecided for four teams heading into final night of NBA season

Apr 16, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT

Vegas nailed the lines for season win totals for four NBA teams almost exactly.

5. NBA announces preliminary schedule for Game 1 of the playoffs

Apr 16, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v San Antonio Spurs - Game Two Golden State Warriors v San Antonio Spurs - Game Two

The matchups aren’t all set, but this gives us an idea of who plays when as the playoffs open this weekend.

6. Knicks announce signing of Lamar Odom for remainder of the season

Apr 16, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT

odom phil Getty Images

Knicks make it official and announce they’ve signed Lamar Odom for the remainder of the season.

7. PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards

Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder vs Miami Heat Getty Images

Durant and LeBron at the top of the MVP ballot is easy, it’s filling out spots 3-5 that is the challenge.

8. New Bucks owners say all the right things, that they are committed to Milwaukee

Apr 16, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

Herb Kohl Herb Kohl

Kohl is going to pitch in $100 million to get a new arena built in Milwaukee.

9. Arizona State’s Jahii Carson officially declares for NBA Draft

Apr 16, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT

Arizona St v Texas Getty Images

Teams will like his speed, but he’s destined for a second round pick.

10. Report: Kobe Bryant already vacationing in France as Lakers end ugly season

Apr 16, 2014, 4:29 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant

While the Lakers end their dreary season Kobe Bryant is already on vacation.

11. Blake Griffin would vote yes on NBA allowing medical marijuana use

Apr 16, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT

Blake Griffin AP

Clippers forward: ‘It doesn’t really affect me, but so many guys would probably benefit’

12. Mavericks, Grizzlies both motivated to win Wednesday, avoid Spurs in first round

Apr 16, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v San Antonio Spurs - Game One Getty Images

The Spurs have crushed the Grizzlies and Mavericks this season, so those teams are motivated to avoid a trip to the Riverwalk to start the postseason.

13. 2014 PBT Awards: All-Rookie team

Apr 16, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

Tim Hardaway, Mason Plumlee Tim Hardaway, Mason Plumlee

First team nearly a clean sweep, but one top teamer didn’t even make other two ballots

14. Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee

Apr 16, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Image (1) Bucks_logo-thumb-250x346-20140.gif for post 4121

New York based hedge fund billionaires Marc Lasry and Wes Edens are buying the team but keeping it in Wisconsin, they just need to get a new arena built.

15. Tyson Chandler: ‘I’m not into wasting seasons’

Apr 16, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Jimmy Butler, Tyson Chandler Jimmy Butler, Tyson Chandler

Knicks center knows, though, he might have no choice

16. Shaq smashes Brent Barry’s guitar ala Animal House (VIDEO)

Apr 16, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Shaquille O'Neal AP

You can’t do enough Animal House references to make me happy.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures