Channing Frye on his return to Suns: ‘I never felt like I was done’

Sep 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Channing Frye

PHOENIX — The big news out of Suns media day on Monday was the team making official what Channing Frye had announced personally the night before: that he has been cleared to play by a multitude of physicians, and will be back on the active roster beginning immediately.

“There’s a lot of weird feelings going on right now,” Frye said. “It’s been a long year. It’s been one of the hardest years I’ve had to go through, because I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t rehab it, I couldn’t go out on the court and work on it. It was something [where] I just had to sit, and wait, and heal.”

Frye missed all of last season with what was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. He was unable to exercise at all while recovering, and just recently started to work his way back into shape. As for basketball activity, there has been very little by Frye’s own admission — dribbling and shooting here and there, but certainly no full-court runs.

But before basketball comes health, and during Frye’s year-long absence, he was forced to deal with something that could have been even more severe had it continued to go unnoticed.

“It was very serious,” he said. “Every doctor I went to was like, ‘thank God we caught it when we did.’ There could have been some serious repercussions.”

Frye gave us a grossly oversimplified medical explanation of what his issue was.

“My heart had a cold for a year, it went away,” he said. “So now I’m better.”

Frye is expected to be a full participant in training camp, with no restrictions. He was emphatic when asked if he needed to be on any medication.

“None. No way. I’m all healthy,” was Frye’s response.

He’ll undergo testing every six months, which he seemed to be much more open to than being consistently medicated. Now that he’s been completely cleared for activity, Frye was adamant that he won’t be tentative once he returns to the court for workouts.

“No, we’ve got too good of a [training staff] for that,” he said. “They’re not going to let me go out on the court if I’m scared, and it’s just not my attitude. I’m a zero or a hundred type of guy. When I go out there I’ll go as hard as I can in a safe environment, and if the trainers or the coaches see anything, [they’ll tell me] to take a step back.”

Frye consulted with fellow NBA players Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and Ronny Turiaf for advice, considering they all went through a heart condition which took them away from the game for a period of time. They told Frye to listen to what the doctors tell you, get multiple opinions, and ultimately do what’s best for you and your family.

Frye didn’t have to return to the NBA, obviously. Not only has he amassed more than $28 million in career earnings with two more guaranteed contract years ahead of him, but he reminded us that with his education, he could easily go do something else.

“I could be a teacher if I want to,” Frye said. “I’ve got my degree now.”

But he doesn’t have to pursue other options just yet. When asked about his choice to come back, Frye pointed to the motivation of overcoming his illness, along with a feeling inside that told him he still had something left to give to the game he loves.

“I just felt like I was never done,” Frye said. “Even when things didn’t look good, I just felt like I wasn’t done yet. And I was determined to approach this like I approach everything else.

“I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest or the fastest. I just want to play ball, you know? It’s what I’m supposed to do, and I never felt like I was done.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin

Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.

2. Corey Brewer excited to reunite with Ty Lawson, spark Houston

Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets vs Houston Rockets Getty Images

Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.

3. Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one

Aug 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT

alternate2-details

I’m no fashion critic, but they’re not bad.

4. Andrea Bargnani says he would have played “for free” to prove himself with Nets

Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT

Andrea Bargnani AP

Somehow I bet he still cashes his paychecks rather than actually playing for free.

5. Morris twins lawyers seek to send case back to grand jury

Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The Morris twins have denied any involvement, or even knowing the victim.

6. Mavericks’ coach Rick Carlisle says team will err on side of caution with Wesley Matthews return

Aug 4, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Thinking long-term is the smart approach, the only one the Mavericks should consider

7. Kobe Bryant’s popularity in China knows no bounds

Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwzjzdnimmu0mmfiyjq3nwrlytblymy1zja0mgnhnmiw AP

Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.

8. Report: Nets doing Earl Clark a favor and waiving him

Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Atlanta Hawks- Game One Getty Images

Brooklyn could have easily kept Clark through training camp

9. Jerry Colangelo: Paul George will attend USA Basketball minicamp meeting, won’t play

Aug 3, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Pacers star maintains status as lock for 2016 Olympic roster – if he wants to play

10. Klay Thompson’s brother called up to the White Sox

Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete

11. LeBron James to attend Team USA minicamp, leave early

Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

US forward LeBron James celebrates after Getty Images

That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster

12. Report: Mavericks give Salah Mejri fully guaranteed salary

Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT

BASKET-EURL-ANADOLU EFES-REAL MADRID Getty Images

Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?

13. Nancy Lieberman says DeMarcus Cousins happy Kings hired her

Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT

Nancy Lieberman Nancy Lieberman

Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?

14. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

Top 10 NBA Player Searches