Channing Frye on his return to Suns: ‘I never felt like I was done’

Sep 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT

Channing Frye

PHOENIX – The big news out of Suns media day on Monday was the team making official what Channing Frye had announced personally the night before: that he has been cleared to play by a multitude of physicians, and will be back on the active roster beginning immediately.

“There’s a lot of weird feelings going on right now,” Frye said. “It’s been a long year. It’s been one of the hardest years I’ve had to go through, because I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t rehab it, I couldn’t go out on the court and work on it. It was something [where] I just had to sit, and wait, and heal.”

Frye missed all of last season with what was diagnosed as an enlarged heart. He was unable to exercise at all while recovering, and just recently started to work his way back into shape. As for basketball activity, there has been very little by Frye’s own admission — dribbling and shooting here and there, but certainly no full-court runs.

But before basketball comes health, and during Frye’s year-long absence, he was forced to deal with something that could have been even more severe had it continued to go unnoticed.

“It was very serious,” he said. “Every doctor I went to was like, ‘thank God we caught it when we did.’ There could have been some serious repercussions.”

Frye gave us a grossly oversimplified medical explanation of what his issue was.

“My heart had a cold for a year, it went away,” he said. “So now I’m better.”

Frye is expected to be a full participant in training camp, with no restrictions. He was emphatic when asked if he needed to be on any medication.

“None. No way. I’m all healthy,” was Frye’s response.

He’ll undergo testing every six months, which he seemed to be much more open to than being consistently medicated. Now that he’s been completely cleared for activity, Frye was adamant that he won’t be tentative once he returns to the court for workouts.

“No, we’ve got too good of a [training staff] for that,” he said. “They’re not going to let me go out on the court if I’m scared, and it’s just not my attitude. I’m a zero or a hundred type of guy. When I go out there I’ll go as hard as I can in a safe environment, and if the trainers or the coaches see anything, [they'll tell me] to take a step back.”

Frye consulted with fellow NBA players Chris Wilcox, Jeff Green, and Ronny Turiaf for advice, considering they all went through a heart condition which took them away from the game for a period of time. They told Frye to listen to what the doctors tell you, get multiple opinions, and ultimately do what’s best for you and your family.

Frye didn’t have to return to the NBA, obviously. Not only has he amassed more than $28 million in career earnings with two more guaranteed contract years ahead of him, but he reminded us that with his education, he could easily go do something else.

“I could be a teacher if I want to,” Frye said. “I’ve got my degree now.”

But he doesn’t have to pursue other options just yet. When asked about his choice to come back, Frye pointed to the motivation of overcoming his illness, along with a feeling inside that told him he still had something left to give to the game he loves.

“I just felt like I was never done,” Frye said. “Even when things didn’t look good, I just felt like I wasn’t done yet. And I was determined to approach this like I approach everything else.

“I wasn’t always the best, I wasn’t always the strongest or the tallest or the fastest. I just want to play ball, you know? It’s what I’m supposed to do, and I never felt like I was done.”

Latest Posts
  1. Rajon Rondo says he deserves a max contract

Oct 2, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT

Rajon Rondo, Danny Ainge Rajon Rondo, Danny Ainge

Celtics president Danny Ainge agrees that’s a fair request

2. Al Jefferson vows to improve defense this season

Oct 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

After 10 years in the league, how much change do we really expect?

3. 67RIEFNS No. 7: Warriors’ starting lineup

Oct 2, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT

Stephen Curry Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, David Lee and Andrew Bogut dominated last season and return for more

4. Does Serge Ibaka know who Mitch McGary is?

Oct 1, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

2014 Oklahoma City Thunder Media Day 2014 Oklahoma City Thunder Media Day

Thunder forward says he doesn’t (unless he’s joking like Kevin Martin)

5. D-League considers rule change: Players attempt one free throw on all trips to line

Oct 1, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Dwight Howard Dwight Howard

Get fouled on a missed 2-pointer – one free throw worth two points
    Get fouled on a missed 3-pointer – one free throw worth three points

6. Injury updates: Lakers Ryan Kelly, Jazz’s Carrick Felix both out for a while

Oct 1, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Media Day Getty Images

Two young players trying to prove to new coaches they deserved minutes. This is a real setback for both.

7. LeBron co-producing children’s show about beginnings of himself, other top athletes

Oct 1, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

The show is on Disney XD. I suppose there are worse things your child could watch.

8. Phil Jackson compared J.R. Smith to Dennis Rodman. Smith likes that.

Oct 1, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

J.R. Smith AP

Thing is, Rodman fit the triangle and what Jackson wants to do with a team. Smith…. not so much.

9. Greg Monroe calls offseason rumors surrounding him ‘lies’

Oct 1, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT

Greg Monroe Greg Monroe

Monroe had a busy offseason in terms of appearances in the NBA’s news cycle.

10. Rajon Rondo doesn’t rule out opening night return for Celtics

Oct 1, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Broken hand is supposed to sideline Rondo for 6-8 weeks.

11. K.J. McDaniels takes unique approach to rookie contract with Sixers

Oct 1, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

Second round pick foregoing additional guaranteed dollars in order to bet on himself.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches