Sep 29, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
As Tyrone Corbin enters his fourth season as head coach of the Jazz, a layer of uncertainty lies underneath an already challenging situation.
Utah is in a full-fledged rebuild, meaning that the job Corbin does won’t be able to be properly judged by wins and losses given the collection of young talent in place on the roster.
Instead, Corbin will be tasked with developing his players and showing improvement over the course of the season, but he’ll be doing it in the final year of his contract, with no extension expected before next summer.
The coach, entering his third full season at the helm for the Jazz, is in the final year of his contract and, according to the man who represents him in negotiations with the Jazz, an extension is unlikely. …
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said last week that Corbin, whose career record is 87-89, has “performed really well under these circumstances,” but declined to comment on anything related to his contract status. Corbin’s agent, Los Angeles-based Steve Kauffman, said the sides have not begun negotiating an extension.
“I don’t expect anything to be done,” said Kauffman, whose other clients include Jeff Hornacek and Monty Williams.
The one thing that Corbin has working in his favor is that he’s employed by a franchise that’s historically preferred stability at its head coaching position over the revolving door model favored by so many teams around the league.
Corbin replaced Jerry Sloan in the middle of the 2010-11 season, who coached the Jazz for 19 years. He also served as an assistant under Sloan for seven seasons before receiving his promotion.
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 0
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 42
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60