Sep 29, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
As Tyrone Corbin enters his fourth season as head coach of the Jazz, a layer of uncertainty lies underneath an already challenging situation.
Utah is in a full-fledged rebuild, meaning that the job Corbin does won’t be able to be properly judged by wins and losses given the collection of young talent in place on the roster.
Instead, Corbin will be tasked with developing his players and showing improvement over the course of the season, but he’ll be doing it in the final year of his contract, with no extension expected before next summer.
The coach, entering his third full season at the helm for the Jazz, is in the final year of his contract and, according to the man who represents him in negotiations with the Jazz, an extension is unlikely. …
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said last week that Corbin, whose career record is 87-89, has “performed really well under these circumstances,” but declined to comment on anything related to his contract status. Corbin’s agent, Los Angeles-based Steve Kauffman, said the sides have not begun negotiating an extension.
“I don’t expect anything to be done,” said Kauffman, whose other clients include Jeff Hornacek and Monty Williams.
The one thing that Corbin has working in his favor is that he’s employed by a franchise that’s historically preferred stability at its head coaching position over the revolving door model favored by so many teams around the league.
Corbin replaced Jerry Sloan in the middle of the 2010-11 season, who coached the Jazz for 19 years. He also served as an assistant under Sloan for seven seasons before receiving his promotion.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)