Sep 29, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
As Tyrone Corbin enters his fourth season as head coach of the Jazz, a layer of uncertainty lies underneath an already challenging situation.
Utah is in a full-fledged rebuild, meaning that the job Corbin does won’t be able to be properly judged by wins and losses given the collection of young talent in place on the roster.
Instead, Corbin will be tasked with developing his players and showing improvement over the course of the season, but he’ll be doing it in the final year of his contract, with no extension expected before next summer.
The coach, entering his third full season at the helm for the Jazz, is in the final year of his contract and, according to the man who represents him in negotiations with the Jazz, an extension is unlikely. …
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said last week that Corbin, whose career record is 87-89, has “performed really well under these circumstances,” but declined to comment on anything related to his contract status. Corbin’s agent, Los Angeles-based Steve Kauffman, said the sides have not begun negotiating an extension.
“I don’t expect anything to be done,” said Kauffman, whose other clients include Jeff Hornacek and Monty Williams.
The one thing that Corbin has working in his favor is that he’s employed by a franchise that’s historically preferred stability at its head coaching position over the revolving door model favored by so many teams around the league.
Corbin replaced Jerry Sloan in the middle of the 2010-11 season, who coached the Jazz for 19 years. He also served as an assistant under Sloan for seven seasons before receiving his promotion.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46