Sep 28, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Otto Porter was selected by the Wizards with the third overall pick in this summer’s draft, but injuries have kept the team from seeing what he might be able to contribute during his rookie campaign.
Porter barely played in the Las Vegas Summer League, and was far from impressive in the limited time he was out there. Now that training camp has opened on the campus of George Mason University in Virginia, Porter was limited to just riding a stationary bike as he deals with a hip flexor injury.
Wizards head coach Randy Wittman obviously wants Porter back as soon as possible, but seems to be sending somewhat mixed messages to the rookie from Georgetown.
The injury occurred a few weeks ago when he fell during a scrimmage.
“Today he was limited,” Wizards coach Randy Wittman said. “He’s got a hip flexor thing that is bothering him. It’s been bothering him now for a couple weeks. He’s got to get himself going. He’s missing a lot of valuable time now here in terms of what he’s been limited to. We’ve got to be smart with him. We need to get him healthy and as soon as we can.”
Which is it, coach? Should Porter “get himself going,” or are you going to “be smart with him?” Injuries are part of the game, and a head coach should be intelligent enough not to try to put undue pressure on a first-year player to return before he’s ready.
But considering how hard the team has been hit in this department, with John Wall being limited to just 49 games last year and with Emeka Okafor and Chris Singleton already sidelined, a certain level of frustration on the injury front in Washington is somewhat understandable.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 19
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 7
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 34
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2