Sep 28, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
John Wall received a max contract extension from the Wizards this summer that will see him earn $80 million over the next five years.
Now that he’s being paid like an All-Star, it’s time for him to go out and actually perform well enough to deserve the honor.
Wall was limited to just 49 games a season ago due to injury, but managed to put up better scoring numbers in less minutes than he had in either of his two previous seasons.
The talent and the potential are there, and that’s what the Wizards were paying for. But Wall believes that the team needs to show significant improvement before he’ll be in line to receive an accolade like an All-Star appearance that recognizes his individual contributions.
On his chances at being an all-star next season: “I feel like if I’m winning games and I have my team in the playoffs and I’m doing okay, leading my team, I feel I have a great shot at that. But if you’re not winning. It’s very rare if your team’s not in the playoff race or one of the top teams. It happened last year for two guys [Kyrie Irving and Jrue Holiday], but it happened because other guys were injured. But those guys were deserving.”
Wall won’t have to worry about Holiday this season, as he’s now in the West playing for the New Orleans Pelicans. Rajon Rondo was voted in as a starter last year, but he’s not expected back until December, making his return to the midseason exhibition unlikely, at best.
Derrick Rose is back, however, and is a virtual lock to take Rondo’s place in the starting lineup. Irving should make the squad again too, which leaves Wall competing with someone like Deron Williams for the final guard spot on the Eastern Conference roster.
Winning helps, certainly. But if Wall has a breakout season and the Wizards are simply improved, he’ll have as good a chance as anyone to earn himself that All-Star appearance.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11