Derrick Rose on his return: ‘I think I’m going to play the same way’

Sep 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EST

Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose speaks to the media at the start of the team's training camp at the Berto Arena in Chicago, Illinois

It’s been almost 18 months since we’ve gotten a look at the speed, athleticism, and overall explosiveness that Derrick Rose is uniquely able to showcase on the basketball court.

His comeback is upon us, however, with training camp now open and Chicago’s first preseason game set for Oct. 5 in Indiana against the Pacers. And based on how’s he’s felt in workouts, Rose isn’t expecting to alter his style of play once he officially returns to action.

From Sean Highkin of USA Today:

“I think I’m going to play the same way,” [Rose] said. “I think the only thing that’s changed in my game is my confidence level. I think I’m way more confident in my craft, in my game. I worked out a whole year training on my body.”

Rose went into further detail about his training at the launch event for his latest signature shoe from adidas, explaining how important it’s become to him, while pointing out it’s not something that’s valued by all players.

“First is diet,” Rose said to a small group of reporters last weekend at the United Center. “Don’t get me wrong, I probably do the 80-20 rule, with maybe 20 percent bad food. I wouldn’t say like, I totally went vegan or anything. But I try to eat healthy. Training-wise, I try to push myself every day. Every day I go into training, it’s a day I can get better. And I take it seriously. NBA players, I’ve seen it. A lot of NBA players don’t take training seriously because you’re already talented, you’re already making millions of dollars, you have your own ego — you’re there.

“For me, it really starts from the beginning to really take training seriously and still have that talent. It’s my first time really working hard like this off the court with training and lifting. I know I’m going to be a better player, but I don’t know how I’m going to be really because I’ve never been this strong. I’ve never been this mentally prepared in my life.”

We obviously won’t know what version of Rose we’ll see until he gets back on the court playing full speed against other NBA-level talent. But it’s good to know that the training he’s done has him as fully prepared as possible.

Latest Posts
  1. Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

He was evaluated by doctors after the game Friday.

2. Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48

Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EST

Anthony mason knicks Getty Images

He had been in the hospital for weeks following multiple heart attacks.

3. Langston Galloway three forces overtime, Knicks go on to victory (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

New York Knicks v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

The Knicks got the double OT win in Detroit, this shot was key.

4. Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway

Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

Westbrook is averaging a triple-double over his last five games.

5. Knicks’ Alexey Shved misses shot about as badly as you can (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. New York Knicks TD Garden Getty Images

To quote Bob Uecker, “juuuuust a bit outside.”

6. Rumor: Baron Davis planning an NBA comeback. Stop laughing, he’s serious.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Jordan Brand Melo M9 Shoe Launch Getty Images

There is about as much chance of me getting a date with Emily Ratajkowski this weekend as there is of this actually happening.

7. What’s the best way to defend Kings’ cherry-picking idea?

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST

NBA teams are considering the question

8. Daryl Morey believes two bad shots are better than one good shot (always), but data wasn’t significant enough for Jeff Van Gundy to change

Feb 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EST

Houston Rockets Draft Picks Press Conference Getty Images

An interesting anecdote from Morey (speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference) about how the data showed an advantage, but not one big enough for his coach to change.

9. Re-inventing the Wheel: Mike Zarren presents modified NBA-draft-lottery-reform proposals

Feb 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EST

the modified draft wheel

Instead of 30-year plan, assistant Celtics general manager unveils five-year and 10-year plans

10. Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’

Feb 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

There are financial obstacles in the way of dropping 22 games from the schedule, but Battier makes a somewhat compelling case.

11. Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers

Feb 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v New York Knicks Getty Images

He’s day to day. (Insert your Keith Olberman joke here.)

12. NBA to release “Last Two Minutes” officiating reports through end of season, playoffs

Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. Brooklyn Nets At TD Garden Getty Images

It’s not going to change most fans’ minds, but it’s a good first step.

13. Report: Highest bid for Atlanta Hawks currently $800 million

Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks - Game Six Getty Images

Don’t be surprised if another bidder comes in over the top.

14. Report: If Ray Allen return to NBA this season it will not be with Cleveland

Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ray Allen Getty Images

Don’t expect him to return, but if he does Cleveland appears off the list.

15. The time Michael Jordan asked Common to forge his signature (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EST

87th Annual Academy Awards - Red Carpet Getty Images

Turns out Common was a Bulls ball boy back in the early Jordan era in Chicago, so he and Michael Jordan had some laughs together.

16. Jeff Van Gundy to Daryl Morey when he flinched at using analytics to make a decision: ‘Either you believe in this sh-t or you don’t’

Feb 27, 2015, 2:14 PM EST

Game One Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Eastern Conference Finals Game One Getty Images

The data said that Dikembe Mutombo was better than Yao Ming, but Morey wasn’t ready to make that call.

17. Shane Battier says peer pressure is more valuable than coaching in the NBA

Feb 27, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

A team’s best players hold each other accountable, according to the former NBA player.

18. Report: Phil Jackson to get fined for innocuous comment on Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST

Celebrities Attend Vancouver Canucks Vs New York Rangers Game - February 19, 2015 Getty Images

Phil Jackson can’t just quietly sneak into a building and watch a prospect, so a reporter asked him a question. Jackson answered and will pay for that.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Durant (7973)
  2. D. Rose (7620)
  3. S. Curry (7354)
  4. D. Howard (7040)
  5. P. George (6556)
  1. M. Carter-Williams (6516)
  2. A. Davis (6114)