Derrick Rose on his return: ‘I think I’m going to play the same way’

Sep 28, 2013, 3:30 PM EST

Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose speaks to the media at the start of the team's training camp at the Berto Arena in Chicago, Illinois

It’s been almost 18 months since we’ve gotten a look at the speed, athleticism, and overall explosiveness that Derrick Rose is uniquely able to showcase on the basketball court.

His comeback is upon us, however, with training camp now open and Chicago’s first preseason game set for Oct. 5 in Indiana against the Pacers. And based on how’s he’s felt in workouts, Rose isn’t expecting to alter his style of play once he officially returns to action.

From Sean Highkin of USA Today:

“I think I’m going to play the same way,” [Rose] said. “I think the only thing that’s changed in my game is my confidence level. I think I’m way more confident in my craft, in my game. I worked out a whole year training on my body.”

Rose went into further detail about his training at the launch event for his latest signature shoe from adidas, explaining how important it’s become to him, while pointing out it’s not something that’s valued by all players.

“First is diet,” Rose said to a small group of reporters last weekend at the United Center. “Don’t get me wrong, I probably do the 80-20 rule, with maybe 20 percent bad food. I wouldn’t say like, I totally went vegan or anything. But I try to eat healthy. Training-wise, I try to push myself every day. Every day I go into training, it’s a day I can get better. And I take it seriously. NBA players, I’ve seen it. A lot of NBA players don’t take training seriously because you’re already talented, you’re already making millions of dollars, you have your own ego — you’re there.

“For me, it really starts from the beginning to really take training seriously and still have that talent. It’s my first time really working hard like this off the court with training and lifting. I know I’m going to be a better player, but I don’t know how I’m going to be really because I’ve never been this strong. I’ve never been this mentally prepared in my life.”

We obviously won’t know what version of Rose we’ll see until he gets back on the court playing full speed against other NBA-level talent. But it’s good to know that the training he’s done has him as fully prepared as possible.

1. nflcinbengals - Sep 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

All hail D. Rose

2. kb2408 - Sep 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

My favorite non-LAKER. Rose is going to be dominant this season. Comeback player of the year and MVP. And, if the Bulls can move Deng, and/or add some more firepower, they will be serious threats to win it all.

• drewvargas23 - Oct 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Brookly Nets Fool!!!

3. papichulo55 - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

This Wade-KD Beef ain’t nothin but an appetizer. LBJ-Rose in the Playoffs is what we want. Can’t wait!

• antistratfordian - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Rose is 2-8 vs LeBron in the playoffs. The Bulls are 3-12. You must be dying to see Rose get his butt handed to him again.

“It’s extremely hard where a 6-8 guy can easily defend you.”

• jimjacknjose - Sep 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Get Off Lebron’s NUTS… Lebron isn’t the end all and be all of basketball.

• antistratfordian - Oct 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM

He is right now.

4. apkyletexas - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I hope someone with the Bulls has pointed out to Rose that HE caused HIS OWN injury, while making spastic bunny-hop moves on the court that were completely unnecessary at the time, since he had a relatively open lane to the basket.

He needs to stop playing “the same way”. He needs to go to the Kobe Bryant school of “sharp angles, sharp cuts”, and get rid of all his wasted movements on the court. I’d hate to watch the dude do this to himself again, and tear up another knee, and be out of basketball in a few years.

• adamsjohn714 - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

he’s done that hop thousands of times. It was just a freak play. People get hurt. It happens.

• philtration - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

You mean the same “sharp angles, sharp cuts” Kobe that blew out his Achilles Tendon?
      What the hell are you even talking about?

• cmehustle - Sep 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Bam!! I was thinking the same thing. I think people only watch sportscenter highlights and dont watch the games. You should really actually watch basketball before you comment on here.

5. glink123 - Sep 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

after being out of ball for 18 months, I hope DRose gobbled up PEDs like Skittles. anything less than 25 pounds of solid added muscle will be a disgrace.

6. nokoolaidcowboy - Sep 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Just play man. Don’t agree to any of that building up a big return nonsense that marketing companies conjure up.

THAT is what put people off on Rose last season and he agreed to that hype. Just come in and play.

7. abxyer - Sep 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

“I am going to play the same way” the same way you hurt your knee?
    “….and by the way, I am still the best player in the league” LMAOOOO HAHAHAH

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches