Sep 27, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The injury bug just will not leave the Minnesota Timberwolves alone.
A season after they lost Kevin Love for much of the year when he broke his hand twice, and after Ricky Rubio missed part of the season (and wasn’t himself for much of it) recovering from a major knee injury comes this news:
Chase Budinger has suffered serious cartilage damage to his knee. While we don’t have a lot of details he is going to see the famed Dr. James Andrews next week, which is a sign that things are bad and he could be out for a chunk or all of the season. Reportedly this was not a one-time blow but rather something that came as he increased his workouts before camp — his knee just started to swell up and an MRI revealed an issue.
Budinger had played only 23 games last season due to a knee injury but the Timberwolves thought he was healthy enough to sign him to a three-year. $16 million contract this past summer.
Budinger is a very athletic wing who would have played a sixth man role for Minnesota, coming off the bench (with Derrick Williams, J.J. Barea and Alexey Shved) to give Minnesota some scoring punch with an athletic and up-tempo second unit.
Minnesota is one of a handful of teams (along with the Lakers, Trail Blazers, Mavericks and Pelicans) trying to get one of the last couple playoff spots in the West. They don’t have much margin for error and this certainly hurts them.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 55
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 72
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19