Sep 27, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
The injury bug just will not leave the Minnesota Timberwolves alone.
A season after they lost Kevin Love for much of the year when he broke his hand twice, and after Ricky Rubio missed part of the season (and wasn’t himself for much of it) recovering from a major knee injury comes this news:
Chase Budinger has suffered serious cartilage damage to his knee. While we don’t have a lot of details he is going to see the famed Dr. James Andrews next week, which is a sign that things are bad and he could be out for a chunk or all of the season. Reportedly this was not a one-time blow but rather something that came as he increased his workouts before camp — his knee just started to swell up and an MRI revealed an issue.
Budinger had played only 23 games last season due to a knee injury but the Timberwolves thought he was healthy enough to sign him to a three-year. $16 million contract this past summer.
Budinger is a very athletic wing who would have played a sixth man role for Minnesota, coming off the bench (with Derrick Williams, J.J. Barea and Alexey Shved) to give Minnesota some scoring punch with an athletic and up-tempo second unit.
Minnesota is one of a handful of teams (along with the Lakers, Trail Blazers, Mavericks and Pelicans) trying to get one of the last couple playoff spots in the West. They don’t have much margin for error and this certainly hurts them.
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 11
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)