Sep 27, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Russell Westbrook hasn’t yet been cleared for basketball activities, and during the Thunder’s media day on Friday, said he was uncertain about when he’ll be able to return — which means he doesn’t yet know if he’ll miss the start of the regular season on Oct. 30.
When asked specifically whether he’ll be back for the regular season opener on Oct. 30, Westbrook said “I’m not sure.”
“I just wake up in the morning, get to my rehab and then go back to sleep and do it all over again,” Westbrook said. “I just take it one day at a time, man, and try not to look ahead. When something like this happens you have to take it slow. I mean, there’s no need for me to rush into looking ahead on the schedule or anything like that. Just take it one day at a time and try to find a way to get back.”
Westbrook and Thunder general manager Sam Presti expressed similar sentiments earlier this week to The Oklahoman, and Westbrook’s statements Friday reinforced those statements more than shed any more light on when the All-Star point guard will make his 2013-14 debut.
Assuming Westbrook eventually gets back to the player we’ve become accustomed to seeing, this doesn’t change anything in terms of the Thunder’s long-term goal of playing deep into the postseason.
But depending on how much time Westbrook actually misses, it could put some extra pressure on Kevin Durant to put the team on his back during the early portion of the season more than usual.
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 30
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 16
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6