Sep 27, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Russell Westbrook hasn’t yet been cleared for basketball activities, and during the Thunder’s media day on Friday, said he was uncertain about when he’ll be able to return — which means he doesn’t yet know if he’ll miss the start of the regular season on Oct. 30.
When asked specifically whether he’ll be back for the regular season opener on Oct. 30, Westbrook said “I’m not sure.”
“I just wake up in the morning, get to my rehab and then go back to sleep and do it all over again,” Westbrook said. “I just take it one day at a time, man, and try not to look ahead. When something like this happens you have to take it slow. I mean, there’s no need for me to rush into looking ahead on the schedule or anything like that. Just take it one day at a time and try to find a way to get back.”
Westbrook and Thunder general manager Sam Presti expressed similar sentiments earlier this week to The Oklahoman, and Westbrook’s statements Friday reinforced those statements more than shed any more light on when the All-Star point guard will make his 2013-14 debut.
Assuming Westbrook eventually gets back to the player we’ve become accustomed to seeing, this doesn’t change anything in terms of the Thunder’s long-term goal of playing deep into the postseason.
But depending on how much time Westbrook actually misses, it could put some extra pressure on Kevin Durant to put the team on his back during the early portion of the season more than usual.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 15
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23