Sep 27, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Russell Westbrook hasn’t yet been cleared for basketball activities, and during the Thunder’s media day on Friday, said he was uncertain about when he’ll be able to return — which means he doesn’t yet know if he’ll miss the start of the regular season on Oct. 30.
When asked specifically whether he’ll be back for the regular season opener on Oct. 30, Westbrook said “I’m not sure.”
“I just wake up in the morning, get to my rehab and then go back to sleep and do it all over again,” Westbrook said. “I just take it one day at a time, man, and try not to look ahead. When something like this happens you have to take it slow. I mean, there’s no need for me to rush into looking ahead on the schedule or anything like that. Just take it one day at a time and try to find a way to get back.”
Westbrook and Thunder general manager Sam Presti expressed similar sentiments earlier this week to The Oklahoman, and Westbrook’s statements Friday reinforced those statements more than shed any more light on when the All-Star point guard will make his 2013-14 debut.
Assuming Westbrook eventually gets back to the player we’ve become accustomed to seeing, this doesn’t change anything in terms of the Thunder’s long-term goal of playing deep into the postseason.
But depending on how much time Westbrook actually misses, it could put some extra pressure on Kevin Durant to put the team on his back during the early portion of the season more than usual.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25