Sep 27, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Russell Westbrook hasn’t yet been cleared for basketball activities, and during the Thunder’s media day on Friday, said he was uncertain about when he’ll be able to return — which means he doesn’t yet know if he’ll miss the start of the regular season on Oct. 30.
When asked specifically whether he’ll be back for the regular season opener on Oct. 30, Westbrook said “I’m not sure.”
“I just wake up in the morning, get to my rehab and then go back to sleep and do it all over again,” Westbrook said. “I just take it one day at a time, man, and try not to look ahead. When something like this happens you have to take it slow. I mean, there’s no need for me to rush into looking ahead on the schedule or anything like that. Just take it one day at a time and try to find a way to get back.”
Westbrook and Thunder general manager Sam Presti expressed similar sentiments earlier this week to The Oklahoman, and Westbrook’s statements Friday reinforced those statements more than shed any more light on when the All-Star point guard will make his 2013-14 debut.
Assuming Westbrook eventually gets back to the player we’ve become accustomed to seeing, this doesn’t change anything in terms of the Thunder’s long-term goal of playing deep into the postseason.
But depending on how much time Westbrook actually misses, it could put some extra pressure on Kevin Durant to put the team on his back during the early portion of the season more than usual.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10