Sep 27, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
There are a lot of fans in Toronto that think they have a playoff team this season.
A lot thought that last season, something encouraged by the bold words of Bryan Colangelo. Didn’t exactly work out that way…actually it was nothing close to that way.
Now there is a new sheriff in town, GM Masai Ujiri, a guy who already found a way to unload Andrea Bargnani and his massive salary. So more bold predictions?
Nope. That’s not how Ujiri roles. He spoke with Eric Koreen of the national post and was cautious.
“I really can’t say this team is going to be fourth or seventh or 12th,” Ujiri said in a one-on-one interview in his corner office days before his first training camp as general manager of the Raptors. “I can’t do that. I want us to have growth, big-time growth, and improvement so that we can actually know what we have on this team. And then we can move from there.”
Should the Raptors have made a bigger, splashier move this offseason?
“I wouldn’t understand what there is to do bigger. I understand [the feeling]. I wish I could come in and make it an Eastern Conference final team the next day. That’s not how sports work. I study history. I study the game. I study the NBA and the team I’m working for very, very closely. Everyday, you think about it … My job, from when I took the job and when we started here, is to try to move forward. That’s the way I see it.”
And the Raptors will move forward. While just how far Rudy Gay can lead a team is a divisive issue, he can lead them to the playoffs and they have a full season with him. Jonas Valanciunas has looked great over the summer (at both Summer League and FIBA’s EuroBasket) and we’ll see if Terrence Ross can take a step forward. Guys off the bench like Steve Novak and Tyler Hansbrough can be good role players.
There are big questions, mostly about if this team can defend well enough to make the playoffs. But they can be in the mix for one of the final couple spots in the East.
After a long playoff drought, start there. No reason for Ujiri to oversell it.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85