Sep 27, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Hedo Turkoglu could make $12 million to sit on his couch this season.
The Orlando Magic can waive him and only have to pay $6 million, but they have until Jan. 10 to make that call. In the mean time they want to keep him around as a potential trade chip, so he is still on the roster.
Although team officials and Turkoglu’s camp have not reached a buyout deal, both sides have agreed that Turkoglu will not be with the team when it convenes for the start of training camp Tuesday or at any time after that.
Orlando is going to try to move him up until Jan. 10, then if they haven’t they will let him go (or they could agree to a buyout for less than $6 million, if Turkoglu would be amenable). Turkoglu reportedly has an offer waiting to play in his native Turkey this season if he wants it.
Turkoglu was key to Orlando’s 2009 Finals run, but his game has deteriorated sharply since. Last season he broke his hand on opening night, them upon his return in February faced a 20-game league suspension for testing positive for a banned substance (which, of course, he said he took without knowing).
Orlando is trying to rebuild with youth — guys like Tobias Harris, who plays the four — and Turkoglu is just not part of the plans.
So he will be paid at least $6 million to sit at home during the day, eat bon bons and watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns. Doesn’t sound like that bad a life to me.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 19
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7