Drake says “hats off” to security that kept him out of Heat locker room

Sep 27, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Google And T-Mobile Celebrate The Launch Of Google Music At Mr. Brainwash Studio In Los Angeles - Inside Getty Images

While Miami Heat were dousing each other with champagne and celebrating their NBA Finals win last June, many media were lined up just outside that door to get into the locker room to get some video or a picture or a quote. Then rapper Drake and his entourage tried to barge their way in.

If it were the Heat had been hosting the Bucks on a Tuesday night in February, he would have gotten in. During the Finals, he got shot down. Fast.

On ESPN’s Highly Questionable, Drake basically said good on the security guard who stopped him. The video is below but here is the money quote:

“As a joke I tried to go in with the media through the media entrance, as they were all swarming in. That was a great night, one of the greatest nights of my life. But that was probably the highlight, getting denied by that old guy and it making news everywhere. That’s a classic moment. I’m allowed to go in the Heat locker room for the most part, I just tried to do it a funny way. It didn’t work out for me, I’ll never do it again.”

Well, until the next time the Heat win a title.

1. kingwithringz - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM

If you think the security guard shoulda let Drake in the locker room, gimme a HELL YEAH!! (Stone Cold voice)

• trevor123698 - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM

HELL NO! and if you listen to drake you are a walking joke

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I’ve never heard a song, note, sound that Drake has ever made. Never even heard him speak. But I think I can say with confidence that there’s no way he can possibly have any talent. Am I judging the book by its cover? Absolutely. But this guy loos like a soulless, vapid, posing, unoriginal, no talent, hack. He probably chanted his Torah portion beautifully. But so did I and I can’t sing for $#!+

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Ok thumbs-downers, Give me the song I need to listen to that will prove his genius to me.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Alright. Since NOBODY gave me a song suggestion I wentbon YouTube and played the firstbonevthat came up. “Started from the Bottom”. You’ll never guess what it was about. It was about how he was born with nothing but now he’s got so much money he doesn’t know what to do with it. I’ve never heard a rap song tackle this issue before! Truly groundbreaking.

Throw in some N-Words and a speech pattern that is clearly not how he really talks, and this is cookie-cutter, bubble gum, cliche, same old same old, dreck.

Sorry, but it’s true.

• jda247 - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I don’t know what type of music you like. But I happen to listen to drake and he’s a good artist. His album just dropped and theirs a few song I would recommend. “From Time” its about relationships and convincing a old flame that you’re the only one that’s good for her, “Too Much” its about resolving family issues, “Pound Cake” this song I don’t know what this song is about, but the beat is enticing.

• somekat - Sep 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM

hip hop died about 10 years ago, everything new is trash

sorry but it’s fact

• toms1967mustang - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Okay, I get it, “He’s just another Rapper”. But, maybe you should not, “Judge a book by it’s cover”.

One, he actually does have a lot of good music. I prefer alternative or Metal, but Drake is one of the few rappers whose music I enjoy. Two, to fit your mold he did drop out of High School…only to return and finish with his diploma at the age of 26! Three, why did he return to school? Because when he dropped out he promised his mother he would return and finish. Just knowing those three things has really impressed me about him.

Also, instead of slamming security ans saying they must not know who he was, he congratulated them on a job well done. He is one of the few artists that I have respect for.

• antistratfordian - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

“Am I judging the book by its cover? Absolutely. But this guy loos like a soulless, vapid, posing, unoriginal, no talent, hack.”

I can’t believe I’m about to defend Drake…

What “cover” were you using to judge him by? His backwards hat in the video? His heavy stubble? His skin color? I don’t see how you can make out anything about his talent by looking at him. His clothing doesn’t suggest anything either other than he dresses conservatively for a hip-hop artist.

And you totally missed the point of “Started From the Bottom.” Drake is oft criticized for talking about “struggle” when he’s come from privilege (he was initially known for starring in Degrassi when you was younger, after all). People don’t initially grasp that he’s talking about his personal struggle of transitioning from Canadian child actor to serious hip-hop artist with everyone saying he couldn’t make the leap. He still gets grief for being on Degrassi. So sometimes he doubles down on that and attacks it via satire like “Started From the Bottom.” You would’ve probably gathered that if you watched the video – it’s silly.

No one is going to say Drake is a “genius” (I don’t even particularly like him) – but a brief listen to some of his better songs like “I’m On One” or “Headlines” and the reasons for his success should be self evident.

But you may be one of these people who can’t tell the difference – and this is not uncommon (MOST people cannot tell the difference between an average drummer and a great drummer or an average bass player and an amazing bass player). I’m sure if I played you “New York State of Mind” by Nas you’d have similar criticisms – but that is a bona fide masterpiece of pure poetic genius.

3. nickbrezzy - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Drakes a corn ball brother 😂

• asimonetti88 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Drake’s the type of guy who points the gun at a civilian in GTA, then puts the controller down and says, “No. I can’t do this.”

• 00maltliquor - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Drake isn’t “down for the cause”… LOL

4. mrgeek100 - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM

You obviously don’t know anything about rap or hip hop so stick to what you know cause you sound foolish

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

So what’s the BEST Drake song? Ill give it a listen.

• cg2424 - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

For you to believe that listening to ONE song will give you insight into whether or not you like an artist is naive and ignorant. Based on your pessimistic outlook it wouldn’t matter if Drake personally played you his 13 Billboard #1 hits…you’d undoubtedly write them off.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Name a freaking song! I can name you a million Pearl Jam songs. The newest one “dropped” last week . YouTube the song Sirens. It will make your life better. Ill name the oldest one, Alive. It’s a classic. I can name you one in the middle, Given to Fly or In Hiding or Nothing As it Seems or Inside Job. We can do this all day.

• sal11 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I’ll humor you. Give “Marvin’s Room” a listen. “Started From the Bottom” is a pretty cliche hip-hop track but most of his stuff is a lot more original and introspective.

Now, off to the next basketball post to discuss politics or history or something.

• pl4tinum514 - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM

fear

5. mrlaloosh - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Who’s Drake? Didn’t he play football for LSU? …..;)

• money2long - Sep 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

drake is good.
      on a separate note…for some reason i want some coffee cake right about now

6. cleonslamminsalmon - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Drake blows. I grew up listening to Gang Starr, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang Clan, etc, as far as him being “a rapper” is a joke.

1972wasalongtimeago-When he says “started from the bottom”, he really means being on the show “degrassi High”.

7. 1972wasalongtimeago - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Sal11-

Seriously? I listened to Marvin’s Room. Bitches, clubs, drinking, booty calls, F that N; all in the first verse. And it’s clearly a contrived “accent”, and has only made anyone who listened to it just a little dumber. Maybe I’m just old, but is this really what’s considered good? No depth. No real emotion. It’s an empty and vapid. Can’t even dance to it.

Does LeBron really like this guy?

I don’t know, man. Feel bad for all you youngins who think this is good. You were born too late

8. teabone413 - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

drake was on degrassi high. there’s no way he has any street cred.

9. fearthehoody - Sep 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM

mrgeek if you think Drake is rap or hip hop you are the bigger joke than the old man wondering who Drake is

10. galdar30 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Rap as it is in its’ present state is a joke!!!!
    I’m an 80’s kid and I tell you where rap is now SUCKS, but then again it’s only after all comercialized BS.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches