Sep 26, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Corey Maggette had a rough season with the Pistons last year. He appeared in only 18 games — none after Dec. 15, for reasons unknown — while putting up career-low averages in points, minutes, and field goal percentage.
Maggette has been known throughout his 14-year career for his ability to score and get to the free throw line as a volume shooter, and could be of value off the bench for a veteran team in need of that specific skill set.
A team like the Spurs, maybe.
Corey Maggette will be joining the Spurs for training camp. Great locker room guy, could provide needed scoring, esp. w/ Pop’s rest methods.
— Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) September 26, 2013
As noted, Gregg Popovich famously and frequently gives his best players nights off during the regular season, in order to keep them fresh for what usually ends up being a run fairly deep into the playoffs.
If healthy and able to accept his role, Maggette could be a key addition to the rotation.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61