Sep 26, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Corey Maggette had a rough season with the Pistons last year. He appeared in only 18 games — none after Dec. 15, for reasons unknown — while putting up career-low averages in points, minutes, and field goal percentage.
Maggette has been known throughout his 14-year career for his ability to score and get to the free throw line as a volume shooter, and could be of value off the bench for a veteran team in need of that specific skill set.
A team like the Spurs, maybe.
Corey Maggette will be joining the Spurs for training camp. Great locker room guy, could provide needed scoring, esp. w/ Pop’s rest methods.
— Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) September 26, 2013
As noted, Gregg Popovich famously and frequently gives his best players nights off during the regular season, in order to keep them fresh for what usually ends up being a run fairly deep into the playoffs.
If healthy and able to accept his role, Maggette could be a key addition to the rotation.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 22
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 18
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80