Sep 26, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Corey Maggette had a rough season with the Pistons last year. He appeared in only 18 games — none after Dec. 15, for reasons unknown — while putting up career-low averages in points, minutes, and field goal percentage.
Maggette has been known throughout his 14-year career for his ability to score and get to the free throw line as a volume shooter, and could be of value off the bench for a veteran team in need of that specific skill set.
A team like the Spurs, maybe.
Corey Maggette will be joining the Spurs for training camp. Great locker room guy, could provide needed scoring, esp. w/ Pop’s rest methods.
— Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) September 26, 2013
As noted, Gregg Popovich famously and frequently gives his best players nights off during the regular season, in order to keep them fresh for what usually ends up being a run fairly deep into the playoffs.
If healthy and able to accept his role, Maggette could be a key addition to the rotation.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 3
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 10
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 4
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18