Sep 26, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Glen Grunwald — the man who has steered the good ship New York Knicks the past several seasons, hired Mike Woodson as coach and said there was “no scenario” Jeremy Lin would not stay a Knick — has been pushed out of power.
The Knicks have re-hired Steve Mills as Team President and GM. Mills was the former COO of Madison Square Garden who hired Isiah Thomas and ushered in that era (which included the Anucha Browne Saunders sexual harassment trial and $11 million judgement). Grunwald now has the dreaded “consultant” tag.
Oh, it’s going to be a fun year in New York.
“I am pleased to be able to welcome Steve back to the Knicks,” James Dolan, executive chairman of The Madison Square Garden Company, said in a released statement. “He is a well-respected sports executive with a strong background in basketball, as well as a familiarity with NBA operations and our company. We look forward to his leadership and believe he is the right person to help us reach our ultimate goal of winning an NBA Championship. We are grateful for Glen’s many years of valuable service and pleased that he will remain with the organization.”
Buzz around the league was Mills was a leading candidate to become the next head of the NBA players union, replacing Billy Hunter, but that seems unlikely now.
With Grunwald out it’s going to put more pressure on Knicks coach Mike Woodson — Woodson and Grunwald were college teammates at Indiana. Mills will likely want his own guy in that chair, as most GMs do.
What other potential changes this could mean is hard to predict because James Dolan is hard to predict — he is the guy who pushed for the Carmelo Anthony trade to happen at the deadline, moving a lot of assets out the door in the process. Dolan gets what he wants, and that can take the team in a lot of different directions.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 6
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 38
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73