Sep 26, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
Rockets coach Kevin McHale makes a good point to start this video — Dwight Howard is a very good player. He is a three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, a guy who averaged 18.3 points a game on 57.7 percent shooting plus pulls down 12.3 rebounds a game as his career averages.
Because he had a down year last season — mostly due to injuries, but his attitude didn’t help matters — on a big stage, so he got painted with a “he’s not all that” brush. But he can be all that and more — he has to physically get right, then he has to go out and earn it. He expected things handed to him in Los Angeles, we’ll see if he’s grown from that experience (and he ugly leaving of Orlando).
Then McHale gets into his plans — he wants to use Howard’s speed (which is exceptional for a big man) and improve his balance. McHale wants to play fast, something Howard pushed back against when Mike D’Antoni came to Los Angeles.
It’s not a question of can McHale teach Howard things that Patrick Ewing or Kobe Bryant or anyone else could not, it’s a question of if Howard will listen. To use the old Buddhist phrase: “When the student is ready the teacher will arrive.” We’ll see if Howard is ready.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0