Sep 26, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
Here’s the money quote from the pre-camp Dwight Howard interview done by CSNHouston.com.
“The biggest part was leaving a storied franchise and also leaving a lot of money on the table, but in order to win you’ve got to sacrifice something. It would have been great to have that stuff, the money and all that stuff, but I want to win.”
That’s going to go over in Los Angeles about as well “R.I.P.D.“
That said, I will agree with him on one thing — he has a better chance to be on a winner over the next five years with this Rockets roster than with the transitioning Lakers.
Based on everything we’ve heard out of Howard’s meeting with the Lakers brass during free agency, it really wasn’t that hard a decision for him. Howard expected to come to Los Angeles and have the keys to the franchise handed to him, but that’s not how it went. He played hurt when he shouldn’t have and the result was he wasn’t the same player. Howard (through his people) told Lakers management he wanted Phil Jackson as coach, they went 180 degrees the other way with Mike D’Antoni. The entire season was a perfect storm of a mess and the Lakers weren’t going to clean it up for next season the way Howard wanted (this was still Kobe’s team). So he was gone.
You can say he crushed his image, but we said the same thing about Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and they both rebounded — because they won. It’s the same with Howard — if he wins in Houston over the next few years his image is very different than if he does not.
That may not be fair, but it’s reality.
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 0
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 50
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 56
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46