Sep 26, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
Here’s the money quote from the pre-camp Dwight Howard interview done by CSNHouston.com.
“The biggest part was leaving a storied franchise and also leaving a lot of money on the table, but in order to win you’ve got to sacrifice something. It would have been great to have that stuff, the money and all that stuff, but I want to win.”
That’s going to go over in Los Angeles about as well “R.I.P.D.”
That said, I will agree with him on one thing — he has a better chance to be on a winner over the next five years with this Rockets roster than with the transitioning Lakers.
Based on everything we’ve heard out of Howard’s meeting with the Lakers brass during free agency, it really wasn’t that hard a decision for him. Howard expected to come to Los Angeles and have the keys to the franchise handed to him, but that’s not how it went. He played hurt when he shouldn’t have and the result was he wasn’t the same player. Howard (through his people) told Lakers management he wanted Phil Jackson as coach, they went 180 degrees the other way with Mike D’Antoni. The entire season was a perfect storm of a mess and the Lakers weren’t going to clean it up for next season the way Howard wanted (this was still Kobe’s team). So he was gone.
You can say he crushed his image, but we said the same thing about Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and they both rebounded — because they won. It’s the same with Howard — if he wins in Houston over the next few years his image is very different than if he does not.
That may not be fair, but it’s reality.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49