Sep 26, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
Here’s the money quote from the pre-camp Dwight Howard interview done by CSNHouston.com.
“The biggest part was leaving a storied franchise and also leaving a lot of money on the table, but in order to win you’ve got to sacrifice something. It would have been great to have that stuff, the money and all that stuff, but I want to win.”
That’s going to go over in Los Angeles about as well “R.I.P.D.”
That said, I will agree with him on one thing — he has a better chance to be on a winner over the next five years with this Rockets roster than with the transitioning Lakers.
Based on everything we’ve heard out of Howard’s meeting with the Lakers brass during free agency, it really wasn’t that hard a decision for him. Howard expected to come to Los Angeles and have the keys to the franchise handed to him, but that’s not how it went. He played hurt when he shouldn’t have and the result was he wasn’t the same player. Howard (through his people) told Lakers management he wanted Phil Jackson as coach, they went 180 degrees the other way with Mike D’Antoni. The entire season was a perfect storm of a mess and the Lakers weren’t going to clean it up for next season the way Howard wanted (this was still Kobe’s team). So he was gone.
You can say he crushed his image, but we said the same thing about Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and they both rebounded — because they won. It’s the same with Howard — if he wins in Houston over the next few years his image is very different than if he does not.
That may not be fair, but it’s reality.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30