Sep 26, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
The two worked out together this summer — when Durant wasn’t playing in pro-ams or going to football games — and speaking with Comcast Sports Net Chicago Tuesday Durant gave a glowing report on how Rose is doing.
Then Durant said the reason Rose looks so good is he took a whole year off to get right.
“He’s been looking great. It was really good for him that he took the whole year off. A lot of people criticized him for it and really were upset about him not playing, but it was the best thing for him. I can tell because he looks better.”
Rose sat out all of last season following a knee injury in the playoffs the year before. This was the league MVP and the guy who made the Bulls offense go and they were just not the same threat without him. Because Rose would never close the door to returning (even during the playoffs) it became a public relations mess that hurt Rose’s image in Chicago. But in the end fans will get over it — he chose not to risk his health and career to entertain fans, that’s his right, contract or not.
Five games into this season Bulls fans will be back on board because they realize they are contenders.
Durant realizes how good they can be.
“I love Coach (Tom Thibodeau) and what he brings to the table. Their defense is one of the best I’ve ever seen, so that gets them by. But I think they need the extra push from the offense, and that’s what D-Rose brings to the table. He’s so explosive, so great. He’s such a great person all around, and I really enjoy watching him play. He’s one of the few players I would go pay to see play. He’s going to make them even better this year.”
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 0
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 2
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 46
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 65
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47